C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 back together

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
"On the street does it feel like it just dies at 5000? "

So today I re-checked everything possible and temporarily installed an electronic tach to give faster read-out of rpms at the high end. I re-set the valve lash on the hydraulic lifters, just in case they had changed slightly after being in the car for a couple hours running. Took the car out to a deserted stretch of road and ran a WOT run in 2nd gear. Power died on the street at about 5K rpm just like on the dyno. Can you say valve float four times fast? The feel is unmistakable. I got out the specs on the heads that Shaw City Engines in Fresno, CA set up for me and while they did use valve springs to accommodate .650 lift, they went wimpy on the pressure: 125 lbs at installed 1.9 inch closed height. Looks like this is the problem. I will upgrade to at least 150 lbs springs. Comp Cams and a couple other vendors have 1.550 diameter springs in that range. Maybe I'll get higher rate in case I want to change to a different cam later. At least now I have a target to aim at.
Glad you got it figured out.

Mike
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

"On the street does it feel like it just dies at 5000? "

So today I re-checked everything possible and temporarily installed an electronic tach to give faster read-out of rpms at the high end. I re-set the valve lash on the hydraulic lifters, just in case they had changed slightly after being in the car for a couple hours running. Took the car out to a deserted stretch of road and ran a WOT run in 2nd gear. Power died on the street at about 5K rpm just like on the dyno. Can you say valve float four times fast? The feel is unmistakable. I got out the specs on the heads that Shaw City Engines in Fresno, CA set up for me and while they did use valve springs to accommodate .650 lift, they went wimpy on the pressure: 125 lbs at installed 1.9 inch closed height. Looks like this is the problem. I will upgrade to at least 150 lbs springs. Comp Cams and a couple other vendors have 1.550 diameter springs in that range. Maybe I'll get higher rate in case I want to change to a different cam later. At least now I have a target to aim at.
Well, 125lbs on the seat is probably not THAT far off from what you need with a hyd flat tappet cam, IF thats what you really have. I would check the installed height and see if they really got it set at 1.9". If not, you may be able to shim up your springs some and get the job done, since you're not running that much lift, you'll just need to watch for coil bind. Also check the open pressure and make sure it's atleast 320lbs or so. If the heads have big heavy Chinese valves in them, you may need more spring pressure. Also make sure to use GOOD oil with lots of zinc.

I think you are on the right track with investigating the valve train/springs, as I mentioned in post #33.

Last edited by ajrothm; 02-16-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Are you absolutely certain that your carb is opening fully when pedal is depressed for WOT?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:43 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Are you absolutely certain that your carb is opening fully when pedal is depressed for WOT?

Yep. Had a helper sit in the car and push the pedal while I poked my beak over the carb.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well, 125lbs on the seat is probably not THAT far off from what you need with a hyd flat tappet cam, IF thats what you really have. I would check the installed height and see if they really got it set at 1.9". If not, you may be able to shim up your springs some and get the job done, since you're not running that much lift, you'll just need to watch for coil bind. Also check the open pressure and make sure it's atleast 320lbs or so. If the heads have big heavy Chinese valves in them, you may need more spring pressure. Also make sure to use GOOD oil with lots of zinc.

I think you are on the right track with investigating the valve train/springs, as I mentioned in post #33.
I also need to add a spring seat cup. Shaw City Engines put the springs directly on the bare aluminum heads.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I also need to add a spring seat cup. Shaw City Engines put the springs directly on the bare aluminum heads.

Wow.. I'd definitely question the work they did then.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

"Wow.. I'd definitely question the work they did then" Probably my fault. I did not give them specs on the springs- except I needed 0.550 lift capability and that I was on a budget. So- they went low end on the springs. But- undercut ss valves swirl polished, 11/32 stems, 0.100 in longer, stellite seats, 5 angle valve job. SCE has three generations of the family involved in a company around for decades. Immense inventory of heads, blocks, components. If I had given them specs, they would have done better.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

"Wow.. I'd definitely question the work they did then" Probably my fault. I did not give them specs on the springs- except I needed 0.550 lift capability and that I was on a budget. So- they went low end on the springs. But- undercut ss valves swirl polished, 11/32 stems, 0.100 in longer, stellite seats, 5 angle valve job. SCE has three generations of the family involved in a company around for decades. Immense inventory of heads, blocks, components. If I had given them specs, they would have done better.
I'd definitely go through the head setup again. Measure your installed height after adding the spring seats, the addition of the seats may "shim up" your spring pressure a little and that may help you.

You need the correct springs, and the correct installed height for THOSE springs to yield the pressure you need for THAT cam/lifter. Also consider your valve weights and rocker arm weight etc..

I think/hope this is where your RPM problem exists.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd definitely go through the head setup again. Measure your installed height after adding the spring seats, the addition of the seats may "shim up" your spring pressure a little and that may help you.

You need the correct springs, and the correct installed height for THOSE springs to yield the pressure you need for THAT cam/lifter. Also consider your valve weights and rocker arm weight etc..

Agree 100%. Basic cylinder head 101 tells you that a valve spring can not sit directly on the head or it will eat away at the aluminum while running. You must have a spring shim or better yet cup or locator.
The following users liked this post:
ronarndt (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by StraubTech
Agree 100%. Basic cylinder head 101 tells you that a valve spring can not sit directly on the head or it will eat away at the aluminum while running. You must have a spring shim or better yet cup or locator.

Parts are ordered. I'm waiting patiently for the FedEx driver to drop off the new springs, retainers and spring cups.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

I'd definitely go through the head setup again.

I hope so too. I've gone thru fuel, ignition and now valve train to fix an un-expected problem. It doesn't leave much else to check.

This is the first time I did a re-build without sourcing and buying all of the components myself. I think it will also be the last time. I got a good deal on the aluminum heads- and they were first rate- but if allowing the machine shop to pick the valves and springs turns out to be the problem, I wasted a couple weeks on the deal.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Parts are ordered. I'm waiting patiently for the FedEx driver to drop off the new springs, retainers and spring cups.
Did these heads have ProMaxx milled into the ends of them? Also going over the combination. With flat tops, a normal .010" in the hole and with what we see in combustion chamber size on these heads at 121cc this engine is under 8 to 1 compression with a .040" head gasket.

Have you run a compression check to see what it is pumping for cylinder pressure?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default springs

Originally Posted by StraubTech

I'm waiting for spring shims and correct valve stem locks for 11/32 valve stems to arrive, but today I removed one of the offending springs on my heads. I got a ball park installed height with my vernier caliper of 2.15 in (stock height is 1.90 in). I found there actually was a spring shim under the spring that was not visible with the spring in place, so the shop was not as careless as I thought. The specs for the valves state they are 0.1 inch longer than stock and the spring, when removed, is about 0.1 in longer than the Comp springs I intend to install. However, the installed height is still way off. When the micrometer spring height tool gets here I can get some precise measurements and install the new springs correctly. This will be the last time I rely on someone else to do work without double checking it. I have wasted a month figuring out why a simple head installation would not work.

However.....this fiasco does meet my basic motto: "It's a good repair job if you get to buy another tool." New tools for this job: micrometer valve spring height tool, different valve spring removal tool, air pressure fitting and hose to remove springs with head on car. New/upgrade parts: HEI distributor, Holley fuel pressure regulator, Holley billet fuel filter and pressure gauge, Comp valve springs, retainers, shims and locks, Crane valve spring seat, Autometer electronic tach. WTF, it's only money.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

LOL, I also love buying tools as needed.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default tools

Originally Posted by ddawson
LOL, I also love buying tools as needed.

Well, these are some of the tools I added to my collection. That micrometer valve spring height tool is pretty slick and the valve spring compressor is much faster than the one I previously used. A Moroso valve seat pressure gauge is also on its way. Much of this is due to my haste to install the new alum heads without checking the work done by the machine shop. Changing springs and checking height is easy to do on the work bench. But now I am doing it with the heads on the car and have to take care not to drop any small parts and have to put up with my air compressor blasting away to keep the valves from falling into the cylinder. One side is done, tomorrow will finish, check the actual seat pressure when my tool gets here and then back to the dyno to confirm my high rpm power loss is finally fixed. Fingers crossed. RA
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Good job Ron!

Its a pain in the *** for sure but it must be done. Verifying spring pressures at a certain installed height, and then setting it to that installed height is the key. Also, remember you lose 5-10% of the spring pressure after the springs are "broken in" so...

I'm pretty sure you're gonna finally solve your problem this time. I'm hopeful anyway. If not, I wouldn't know what else to tell you to investigate next...

Fingers are crossed...
Old 03-02-2017, 05:04 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default Success!!! (finally)

Good job Ron!

Its a pain in the *** for sure but it must be done. Verifying spring pressures at a certain installed height, and then setting it to that installed height is the key. Also, remember you lose 5-10% of the spring pressure after the springs are "broken in" so...

I'm pretty sure you're gonna finally solve your problem this time. I'm hopeful anyway. If not, I wouldn't know what else to tell you to investigate next...

Fingers are crossed...

Well, I finished installing the new valve springs today. Used a little higher closed seat pressure (153 lbs) and spring rate (354 lb/in) Comp springs and carefully checked seat height with my nifty new spring height micrometer and set closed height at 1.895 inch. With my spring seat cup and assortment of shims, this is as close to the suggested 1.900 spec as I could get. (Note the shop that assembled the heads for me had their springs at 2.150 inch closed height, so I am sure I lost about 50-60 lbs from their advertised 125 lb seat pressure.) I used new Comp retainers and 10 degree locks, switching from the 7 degree locks and retainers the machine shop used. I also carefully checked clearances on all of the valve guide plates and found one that needed a little adjustment by Dremmel. Then carefully set valve lash on the hydraulic lifters. While I had all of the plugs out, I also re-checked compression- 125 psi plus/minus 1 psi in all cylinders. Re-installed the valve covers, checked all wires for connection and started it up. Started in about 1/2 second. Attempted to re-check ignition timing and found my 45 year old timing light finally died. Rats. Well, timing should be OK, since I did not change anything there- will check later with yet another new tool purchased for this job. Next....Road test. I went to my usual deserted two-lane road and with the car properly warmed up, drove in second gear at about 40 mph and then went WOT (usually this is where the power just died at 4800 rpm) . As I tried to keep an eye on the road, the speedo , the tach and watch for cops, things started to happen really fast. I backed off at about 6000 rpm, since I think I was already going about 80 mph. Holy cat shirt! I think the problem is fixed. When I got home I scheduled dyno time next Monday. I will be curious how much HP the car has, now that it revs the way it should. Will post results. My valve spring pressure gauge should be here tomorrow, so I will also check the actual closed seat pressure.

Thanks to all who offered advice and moral support during this puzzling problem. Lesson learned- always check work done by others, even if the have a good reputation. RA

Get notified of new replies

To 454 back together

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

valve seat tool

more careful reading at 160 lbs. Camera in other hand

Moroso valve seat pressure tool

Checked the valve seat closed pressure with my new springs and 1.900 inch target height. Actual installed height is 1.895 inch. Specs for springs state 153 lbs at 1.900 inch. Measured pressure is 160 lbs plus/minus a couple lbs, so right on target. Can't wait for the dyno results.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Awesome job man! Glad to hear its fixed. Hopefully the dyno treats you right..

As per our PMs, I've done the valve spring dance several times and I know how tedious it is but....it HAS to be right.

Good job on sticking with it and working through the issue.

Keep us posted on the dyno numbers.. I'm guessing it does 350 rwhp...
Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

BTW I've never seen that Moroso valve spring tool that checks pressures with the springs on the head and rocker arms still on, thats a handy tool I wouldn't mind having.

I need to check my spring pressure, (although I'm afraid to know).... I have about 17k miles on my springs now and I'm sure they are ready....

Quick Reply: 454 back together