C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 center guage cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default 78 center guage cluster

I have the center guage cluster out of car. I found a circuit board for a light lying on the floor behind the radio. It has three prongs on it which makes me believe it is the low fuel warning light. No bulb in it. What type of bulb do I need?

There is an empty hole on the just above the clock. The red window does not have any writing on it. Is this supposed to be empty?

I might as well replace all the 39 year old bulbs. I can't read any of the numbers on them. Are they all the same bulb? Five of them are for illuminating the gauges, one is for low fuel and one is for fasten seat belts.

The light at the top of the cluster that shines down on the heater controls does not work. Is this a special bulb?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Could be the light for the seat belt ( above the clock ) You should buy the manual for your car...
Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
I have the center guage cluster out of car. I found a circuit board for a light lying on the floor behind the radio. It has three prongs on it which makes me believe it is the low fuel warning light. No bulb in it. What type of bulb do I need?

There is an empty hole on the just above the clock. The red window does not have any writing on it. Is this supposed to be empty?

I might as well replace all the 39 year old bulbs. I can't read any of the numbers on them. Are they all the same bulb? Five of them are for illuminating the gauges, one is for low fuel and one is for fasten seat belts.

The light at the top of the cluster that shines down on the heater controls does not work. Is this a special bulb?
Go to zip-corvette.com look up dash console bulbs for a 1978. You'll fix it, not expensive for a complete interior set. The speed/tach bulbs are not the easiest to get to but it can be done.

Last edited by caskiguy; 02-02-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-03-2017, 12:59 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Yes, that is certainly the low fuel warning circuit/lamp. As goes for ALL of the indicator/warning lamps it uses trade #194.

Yes, that indicator slot is empty.

The five general illumination lamps are trade #192. Again, the indicator lamps are trade #194.

Yes that IS a special bulb. It is trade #558. It is special because the tip is actually a concentrating lens. That "lantern" assembly as it is called is perhaps the most over-engineered and under-performing element of the 78+ interior. Even with a proper and new bulb it does a poor job of lighting the HVAC panel.

Mine is currently out of the car and I'm following advice read in this forum. Such advice is to open the light path.

This pic is looking through the newly expanded path.

While I may have gone too far here's a photo of the metal shield just below the lamp housing. Originally the hole was significantly smaller and off center in a pressed "bubble" in the metal. In mine the hole in that "bubble" was not well placed and I enlarged it to the entire "bubble" size.

I also drilled and filed the inner hole to enlarge it slightly and make it more rectangular. Then I filed the final aperture to enlarge is slightly.

The following users liked this post:
biackbenz (02-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 78 center guage cluster

Quick Reply: 78 center guage cluster