C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Toscanoinsac
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 differential

So this is my first post I have been living on this forum for my frame off my uncle gave me his 76 before he passed that was his baby I started it last march and come along way until to I was getting ready to start my differential rebuild an I noticed that where my pinion yoke sits is off center is this ok or am I screwed and my differential cover is beat up inside where the web is can just sand it smooth and roll with it or not
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The pinion is drilled out in the center to match the ring, so an offset here is normal.
The cover rib does not hold or go against anything.
Also a stock cover it is not meant for strength, smoothing that rib is ok for stock HP but if you hammer on the car a little I would buy a cover that is meant for strength.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

During the 70's there was a rash of the Corvette differentials where the ring gear bolts would back out and hit the rib. Typically they would loosen one at a time and hit the rib. They would click as they did this until the rib would finally snap the bolt head off. The rear end would go quiet until the next one loosened and repeat the cycle until the ring gear would spin or metal would end up in the gears and destroy it, or the owner would investigate before it destroyed itself. Many times the only real damage was what you see to the web, of course the bolts would be damaged...

I've never had one do it to me, but I've seen more than a few rear ends when opened that show the same evidence you have with all new bolts and lock washers on the ring gear.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
69427 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

AH YES Gusto, I forgot to right down what caused the damage, Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
During the 70's there was a rash of the Corvette differentials where the ring gear bolts would back out and hit the rib. Typically they would loosen one at a time and hit the rib. They would click as they did this until the rib would finally snap the bolt head off. The rear end would go quiet until the next one loosened and repeat the cycle until the ring gear would spin or metal would end up in the gears and destroy it, or the owner would investigate before it destroyed itself. Many times the only real damage was what you see to the web, of course the bolts would be damaged...

I've never had one do it to me, but I've seen more than a few rear ends when opened that show the same evidence you have with all new bolts and lock washers on the ring gear.

Good luck... GUSTO
Yes. First person testimony.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

1976 is the year that had the problem with the ring gear bolts backing out. Most likely it happened here and caused the damage to the cover. Need to check the ring gear bolt holes in the carrier for damage or post some more pics. The wall in the rear cover is to prevent the ring gear from slinging oil out the vent.
Mike
GUSTO14 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
1976 is the year that had the problem with the ring gear bolts backing out. Most likely it happened here and caused the damage to the cover. Need to check the ring gear bolt holes in the carrier for damage or post some more pics. The wall in the rear cover is to prevent the ring gear from slinging oil out the vent.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I was hoping you might comment. Do you know if this was common with regular 10-bolt rears, or just the Corvette IRS?

In the early 90's I was redoing all of bits and pieces of the rear suspension on my '73 and learned of this issue by chance. I decided since I was at it I would pull my rear cover and check my bolts. Sure enough, my rib was missing a few bits and all of the ring gear bolts were new and all had lock washers. I had bought the car a few years earlier and it didn't occur with me so I assumed a previous owner had experienced it.

A few years later I happened to mention it to a friend that rebuilt rears as a side job and he mentioned he had a few Corvette rear covers out back so I decided to take a look. 2 or 3 out of about a dozen covers had chips out of their rib.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

It's only common on the 76 Corvettes. 78's had a few problems when they change the design of the ring gear bolts. Unusual on other years. All other GM 10 bolts used a different style locking bolt. Same 3/8-24 thread but an 11/16 serrated bolt.
Mike
69427 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Toscanoinsac
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrier

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
Mike
is my carrier reusable if I smooth out the damage the broken bolts left there's is no cracks in I can find and the bolt holes are ok
Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

I see three damaged bolt holes in the pic. What you can't see is the amount of runout the carrier now has. Everything could be machined and trued but it's just not worth the risk to reuse it.
Mike
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Learned something new today...my 76 did this in 91 and I had no idea why...cover undamaged.... used red loctite and torqued to spec. So far so good ....
jim
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 AM
mike1969
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toscanoinsac

So this is my first post I have been living on this forum for my frame off my uncle gave me his 76 before he passed that was his baby I started it last march and come along way until to I was getting ready to start my differential rebuild an I noticed that where my pinion yoke sits is off center is this ok or am I screwed and my differential cover is beat up inside where the web is can just sand it smooth and roll with it or not

Toscanoinsac - did you end up using your cover or buy a new one? I have a similar situation - not as much missing on the internal wall though. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C3 differential

Quick Reply: C3 differential