C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Boiling in Quadrajet

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:58 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
search for quadrajet carburetor insulator 1/4"
should look like this,
Old 03-31-2018, 05:22 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just revitalize this one ---

Today after taking it out for a drive I could actually watch the gas drip onto the manifold on the driver side.

I've read that rebuilding the carb would not help because it's the gas and the fact that it was winter storage gas only makes it worse.

I've got the spacer and a GM issued heat shield under the carb.

So I want to know for those of you that have a stock L48 or similar, and you do not have issues, what's your secret?
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had this problem before too and agree there are two things at play, heat and possible remnants of winter blend gas.

For heat, I have done the following.

1. Check float level and lower if needed.
2. Install intake gaskets that block off the cross over.
3. Install the .25 thermo gasket mentioned.
4. Enrich the idle mix to a 12.5:1. Thinking richer is a bit cooler
5. Advance the timing at idle , vacuum advance on manifold source (per Lars papers)
6. I have electric fans and in the summer I install a mechanical flex fan for plenty of airflow while sitting still.
7. 180* thermostat
8. Buy the highest octane gas.

This may help depending on the outside temps.

Good luck,
John
Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

That looks like a pretty thorough checklist. Thanks John
Old 04-01-2018, 10:15 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I think it's usually a combination of factors you end up have to address with these issues. With that in mind, there may be one other thing to consider: As stated above, modern fuels have a lower boiling point that shows up in carbureted applications. In my experience, fuel was getting hot in the line leading to the fuel bowl. I fought this with both a Q-Jet and a Holley DP (it was more evident with the Holley).

Building a return line from the carb (vs the pump) allowed hot fuel to recirculate back to the tank to cool off. While it doesn't necessarily prevent the boiling, it can mitigate the issue by allowing it to vent back to the tank. For what it's worth, I did this following Lars' advice (along with a heat shield). No more hot start issues.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper9811
I think it's usually a combination of factors you end up have to address with these issues. With that in mind, there may be one other thing to consider: As stated above, modern fuels have a lower boiling point that shows up in carbureted applications. In my experience, fuel was getting hot in the line leading to the fuel bowl. I fought this with both a Q-Jet and a Holley DP (it was more evident with the Holley).

Building a return line from the carb (vs the pump) allowed hot fuel to recirculate back to the tank to cool off. While it doesn't necessarily prevent the boiling, it can mitigate the issue by allowing it to vent back to the tank. For what it's worth, I did this following Lars' advice (along with a heat shield). No more hot start issues.
Where did you connect this return line, to the carburetor? I keep seeing "fumes" escaping from both vents, (when the engine is hot and not running) on the 600 CFM 4160 that I put on my new crate motor, is this normal?
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this thread . . . .

Last edited by imariver; 04-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by imariver

Where did you connect this return line, to the carburetor? I keep seeing "fumes" escaping from both vents, (when the engine is hot and not running) on the 600 CFM 4160 that I put on my new crate motor, is this normal?
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this thread . . . .
Here is how I set up the line with my Holley and Quick Fuel carbs. It takes are of any boiling in the line. If Its' boiling in the bowl, I would also an insulating gasket or spacer (not really visible here) and possible a heat shield. I used the heat shield with the Holley, but only the gasket with my QF carb. When I ran a QJet only 406, the setup was similar, but w/out the second (rear) feed line.

There is a restrictor on the retuen side - it's where the short rubber section is. I used a carb jet inside a rubber fuel line for this. There are more elegant ways of doing this, but it was cheap (using things I had on hand) and looks decent (to me, anyway).

Quick Reply: Gas Boiling in Quadrajet