C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Exhaust 1982 Crossfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM
And1bbaii7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default True Dual Exhaust 1982 Crossfire

Piecing together dads former 1982 corvette in hopes of getting it running for summer. Just found (most) of the OEM exhaust setup. Originally planned to keep it OEM just how it was...cheap muffler should be easy to find. Or am I better off buying the true dual system and scrapping this.

Read Corvette America sold a kit - direct bolt on, no fab needed. Did not see on the site, or any similar kits that are direct fit from forum vendors - Is this the same one for around $550 on Ebay/Amazon?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

if you are not wanting to spend much ,open up the cat buy new better flowing mufflers and put back on.there is a true dual system you can buy for off road use[lol] but you will have several hundred dollars in it.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:08 AM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we got rid of the cat antiques car here are exempt and I went with borlas and it sounds great a low rumble!!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 AM
bsblguy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed mine out to dual exhaust made by Corvette Central. Bolts right up, sounds great. I got it from Corvette Pacifica as they were cheaper. I also bumped up the initial timing 3 degrees and changed the chip. Much better performance with not much money spent.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have to pass emissions testing in your state?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by And1bbaii7
Piecing together dads former 1982 corvette in hopes of getting it running for summer. Just found (most) of the OEM exhaust setup. Originally planned to keep it OEM just how it was...cheap muffler should be easy to find. Or am I better off buying the true dual system and scrapping this.

Read Corvette America sold a kit - direct bolt on, no fab needed. Did not see on the site, or any similar kits that are direct fit from forum vendors - Is this the same one for around $550 on Ebay/Amazon?

Depends on what 'better' means to you. If originality is important to you then the original exhaust system is better. If you value performance, mileage, and a better running engine, then you should go with the true duals. If you install the duals, I recommend a balance pipe between the two pipes to tone down the exhaust note, but that's a personal thing. Some guys like it as loud as they can get away with.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Will CrossFire ECM work properly with no CAT in the system??? You need the O2 sensor to manage the fuel mixture; but without the CAT it will be throwing codes and forcing ECM to run in default mode.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM
And1bbaii7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Do you have to pass emissions testing in your state?
Live in CT and good here but might keep this at my FL home.
Need to check on that for FL - unless anyone can chime in
Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No emissions testing here in Florida. I have a true dual exhaust system with a 'H' crossover pipe and NO catalytic converter on my 78 Pace Car. It looks and sounds good.
The following users liked this post:
And1bbaii7 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Will CrossFire ECM work properly with no CAT in the system??? You need the O2 sensor to manage the fuel mixture; but without the CAT it will be throwing codes and forcing ECM to run in default mode.
The system will work properly with no cat, as the 02 sensor is upstream (before) the cat. Just make sure your new pipes have the 02 bung hole.

No emissions in FL!
The following users liked this post:
And1bbaii7 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
it will work fine
Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

I used this crossmember on my new custom exhaust. It says 68-81 C3s, but it fits just fine if you don't need a CAT on an 82. I did a custom all SS system. I have pics here somewhere and will post up if I find them.

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...transmissions/

Your ECM will work fine without a CAT as well. I used to run Flow Pro mufflers, but switched to Hooker Max Flows when I did the new exhaust.

Also, instead of installing a "H" pipe, I would opt for a "X" pipe crossover instead. The choice is yours. Ensure that you reinstall your O2 sensor in the header collector if that's what your plan on running and make sure the bung is more towards the top on an angle. You don't want it low or on the bottom due to water contamination.

Found a couple of pics. hope this helps.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:57 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there 2 shiney new bolts on both sides of your frame? what are those?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 AM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks great Buc!

What did it all run you? I'm wondering if it ends up being less expensive to just have a shop weld up the pipes custom after you add in shipping for a complete setup ordered online? You are sure of it all fitting by having it put together at a shop as well.

BTW then I registered my 80 in Hillsborough County FL this past year they didn't even do a visual inspection, just wanted to see a VIN on the car.

Last edited by M Pete; 02-20-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by tigertank
there 2 shiney new bolts on both sides of your frame? what are those?
I'm assuming you mean the four new crossmember bolts that bolt the member to the frame. The crossmember is open from the bottom so you can run the pipe straight through which is nice.

That looks great Buc!

What did it all run you? I'm wondering if it ends up being less expensive to just have a shop weld up the pipes custom after you add in shipping for a complete setup ordered online? You are sure of it all fitting by having it put together at a shop as well.

BTW then I registered my 80 in Hillsborough County FL this past year they didn't even do a visual inspection, just wanted to see a VIN on the car.
Thank you. I really don't remember the cost off hand, but I'm sure I have a receipt here somewhere. The shop that I took it to does custom headers and exhaust. They are not cheap, but the pics do not show how well the welds look and how even everything came out, bend wise. I also had them make it so that I could drop the tranny pan without tearing the exhaust apart. Now, the tranny pan has been replaced with a different type with drain plug which makes the filter change much easier. I think the entire exhaust (piping, welding) was around $500ish, not sure though, stainless is not cheap.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I used this crossmember on my new custom exhaust. It says 68-81 C3s, but it fits just fine if you don't need a CAT on an 82. I did a custom all SS system. I have pics here somewhere and will post up if I find them.

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...transmissions/

Your ECM will work fine without a CAT as well. I used to run Flow Pro mufflers, but switched to Hooker Max Flows when I did the new exhaust.

Also, instead of installing a "H" pipe, I would opt for a "X" pipe crossover instead. The choice is yours. Ensure that you reinstall your O2 sensor in the header collector if that's what your plan on running and make sure the bung is more towards the top on an angle. You don't want it low or on the bottom due to water contamination.

Found a couple of pics. hope this helps.

WOW very nice job indeed!!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
If you install the duals, I recommend a balance pipe between the two pipes to tone down the exhaust note, but that's a personal thing.
Maybe that's why my '79 L82 literally rattles the walls when idling in the garage. While I rarely go there the owner of the local Corvette shop (it's slightly out-of-town) does though say, "I love that sound and always know when you're coming."
Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
If you install the duals, I recommend a balance pipe between the two pipes to tone down the exhaust note, but that's a personal thing.
Maybe that's why my '79 L82 literally rattles the walls when idling in the garage. While I rarely go there the owner of the local Corvette shop (it's slightly out-of-town) does though say, "I love that sound and always know when you're coming."

Get notified of new replies

To True Dual Exhaust 1982 Crossfire

Quick Reply: True Dual Exhaust 1982 Crossfire