C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marks on the drawing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Buliwyf EU
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marks on the drawing

Hello,
Can someone explain me what means, or what concerns marked in red on the picture below dimensions of WL? Those that are marked in green are for me clear, although I do not know why sometimes is given only number and sometimes the number with inscription SV.
Please help me claryfying that

Regards
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If I had to guess I would say that they are datum systems that are laid out like a grid in the 3 axes of the car so that you know where the part is installed relative to the front of the car or some other reference point. The inscriptions might denote which datum the number relates to.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM
69C3dreaming
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As See Three mentioned it's all part of a datum . It's not easy to follow either and will drive you crazy. On the first page of checking dimensions there is a representation showing different views,side,rear and top. I had string lines and a Bosch lazer unit and still fought trying to piece my birdcage together. Some things are listed as True View, Plain View,Diagonal section. So the 2D drawing you're viewing might be of a diagonal cut away with no good way to determine 3 axis.

Off the top on my head this is what I remember.
BOL is to bottom 0 datum line in side view
FOL is to front 0 datum line starting at front of rocker channels
C/L is center line
Gauge holes in top of rocker channel are @20 inches and 44 inches in side view. Top metal surface is about 5 inches from BOL in side view and a good reference point. Just remember the fiberglass rocker channel covers add slightly to BOL dimension and account for their thickness.

Best of luck
Old 02-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Buliwyf EU
Cruising

Originally Posted by 69C3dreaming
As See Three mentioned it's all part of a datum . It's not easy to follow either and will drive you crazy. On the first page of checking dimensions there is a representation showing different views,side,rear and top. I had string lines and a Bosch lazer unit and still fought trying to piece my birdcage together. Some things are listed as True View, Plain View,Diagonal section. So the 2D drawing you're viewing might be of a diagonal cut away with no good way to determine 3 axis.

Off the top on my head this is what I remember.
BOL is to bottom 0 datum line in side view
FOL is to front 0 datum line starting at front of rocker channels
C/L is center line
Gauge holes in top of rocker channel are @20 inches and 44 inches in side view. Top metal surface is about 5 inches from BOL in side view and a good reference point. Just remember the fiberglass rocker channel covers add slightly to BOL dimension and account for their thickness.

Best of luck

HI,
Thank you very much for your answer. Everything you have written is well known for me and I fully agree with that. The most important thing that I meant is that what is highlighted/merked in red. Red marks - they absolutely do not fit into the grid FOL, BOL or CL line. As you can see on my drawing, from line marked with a digit and tag WL nothing is dimensioned, they are simply deposited. That's why I can not understand what they (specifically those WL) mean.

I put also another picture, where is a different situation. WL coincides with the basic line of the grid and FOL-BOL has a different value.

Regards
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

I thought WL stood for Water Line on blue prints, boat or otherwise.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Buliwyf EU
Cruising

Thanks for help

Regards
M
Old 02-26-2017, 10:41 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I was a draftsman all my working life. To me "WL" may mean Work Line. If so it is a reference point to measure from or orient yourself in a sectional drawing. In structural design they are "CL" or Column Line. In Architectural design they are "Grid Lines" or "GL". This is just a best guess as I never worked in the auto industry.
Good luck.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
I thought WL stood for Water Line on blue prints, boat or otherwise.
That's correct. WL stands for "Water Line", which is an "old school" drafting term for a datum. It's used on aircraft, too.

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To Marks on the drawing

Quick Reply: Marks on the drawing