C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member in the Corvette Owners Club !

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts
Default New member in the Corvette Owners Club !

Just a quick note to say hi to everyone! I recently picked up a 77 which is my first Corvette if you don't count all the models I built as a kid LOL! I'm not completely sure yet what parts I'm going to need for it but mostly it will be interior stuff , So you'll find me watching the parts section. I did notice there's a set of seats for an 82, can anyone tell me if they can be used in a 77 or not? I know the seats for the 82 are electric and minor manual but can I hook them up in mine or will they hook up on the sliders from my original seats? Any and all help would be appreciated! 😎
Old 02-24-2017, 10:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Welcome to the forum, but I'm going to move this over to the C3 Tech/Performance section - you'll get more answers to your questions there.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi and welcome!
Now we need pictures of your new Corvette.
Regards, Pete.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on the 77. The 81-82 power driver's seat and rack will not fit the earlier cars without major floor pan surgery. The swap is not worth your time or money. The 79-82 split back seats will fit your 77 if you mount them on 77 seat tracks.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on your new car.

A non-power driver seat from an '82 will fit your car just find by simply replacing the track mechanism underneath. As mentioned above adapting a power driver seat requires major surgery that returns little benefit. Many do though consider the '78+ "clamshell" seats a significant improvement for earlier C3 seats.

Do be aware that '77 was a transition year with regards to the interior. While much of it is compatible with 78+ there are a number of one-year-only parts that are not easy to find. Hopefully your steering column mounted windshield wiper/dimmer switch is working as no replacements are available and working originals fetch a nearly insane price.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 PM
buelldude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome, you will like it here. INFO here is second to ------- none!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 77. Any pictures?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:06 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Welcome to the forum, let's see that 77 :- )
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Default My 1977 StingRay

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I apologize that I haven't gotten to this page yet but I've been on a really crazy schedule here lately! Ok , so for everyone to get to know me a little I've been in custom paint and body work for the last 30 plus years ! I currently maintain a fleet of motor coaches that are built for country and rock n roll music stars. I've wanted a Vette since I was a child building models of them but it seems like the opportunity to get one has eluded me for too long ! That all changed this year when I stopped in at the warehouse that I lease sometime at about dark thirty on nite and two doors down from me I see this Vette sitting there as I went to leave ! One thing led to another and within three weeks I had the title in my hand . Now I know it doesn't look like much yet but you guys give me some time and it will be as nice as any out there ! Here's a couple of pics of her ! She is an original black exterior/red interior ! She' been sitting in a body shop for the last five years and the owner started to do some of the resto on it but he had to many irons in the fire so when I started asking about it he decided to sell it and use the money on some of his other projects! As time goes on there will be more pics of progress! I do know that the motor is locked up in it but I've had a 350 that is ready to rock and roll once everything else that needs to be done is complete!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Just bought these for my 77!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations! That looks a heck of a lot better than the 74 I started with 2 years ago. (Same boat as you; my first one.) Its gonna be a great trip, and corvetteforum is a fantastic community.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the C3 world. As far as parts compatibility for different years, a good source is the actual parts vendors. For example Corvette Central (corvettecentral.com) if you look up a part, it will have the years it fits in the description. So you can see right there.
Jim
Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys ! This is my first Vette but not my first time to build / restore a car ! In about 3weeks I will finally be allowed to release the pics of my last resto for a famous celebrity but it hasn't been returned to him yet and it's a surprise for him and can't have it all over the internet before he gets to see it in person ! Last one I did for myself was a 73 Nova SS that I built and installed a 454 in! After I sold that I haven't had a hot rod to work on but my 77 Harley Low Rider has kept me plenty busy! Anyway I can't wait to get going on it although I have been doing some preliminary stuff like taking my 15x8 double-offset rallye rims and sandblasting them clean and then spraying Por-15 on them and gonna put some tires on them just to mount them on the 79 parts car I bought so I can move it inside my shop. There are a few parts on it that I can use on mine and then the rest will be offered up on here to help others do there rest'os !

Best wishes everyone!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Thanks guys ! This is my first Vette but not my first time to build / restore a car ! In about 3weeks I will finally be allowed to release the pics of my last resto for a famous celebrity but it hasn't been returned to him yet and it's a surprise for him and can't have it all over the internet before he gets to see it in person ! Last one I did for myself was a 73 Nova SS that I built and installed a 454 in! After I sold that I haven't had a hot rod to work on but my 77 Harley Low Rider has kept me plenty busy! Anyway I can't wait to get going on it although I have been doing some preliminary stuff like taking my 15x8 double-offset rallye rims and sandblasting them clean and then spraying Por-15 on them and gonna put some tires on them just to mount them on the 79 parts car I bought so I can move it inside my shop. There are a few parts on it that I can use on mine and then the rest will be offered up on here to help others do there rest'os !

Best wishes everyone!
Ok, so I thought I would check in and say hi ! My worlds been a little crazy but tonight I finally had a chance to do a few things on my Vette ! I pulled the valve covers off and it's surprisingly clean as well as the chrome on them is shot but the insides look like they had never been used ! Tomorrow I'm going to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and wait for a few days and see if we can turn the motor over ! I also added brake fluid and pumped the pedal a few times and they appear to be working but we will be going through them before trying to drive anywhere ! Lol

Both heads look identical, there're not all full of gunk and all the rockers and push rods look like they are in perfect working order ! I also noticed that the fuel line had been pulled off at the carburetor and the spark plugs were pulled so I'm beginning to think that there was something going on that the engine wouldn't start and they started to diagnose the problem and then gave up ! It's nice to have a backup motor no matter which way it goes !
I've also removed the hood and will probably use this one from my parts car !

I'm also thinking of using the rear bumper cover from my parts car.

In about another week I'll be able to show everyone the last project I did ! It was loaded up on an enclosed trailer with 911 Porsche and was headed to St.Pete to pick up another 911 before going to Texas !
I want to be sure to thank everyone for the warm welcome I've received and all the great info that has been given so far!

Get notified of new replies

To New member in the Corvette Owners Club !

Quick Reply: New member in the Corvette Owners Club !