C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What pully does the PS pump belt run on ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM
69Chevelle
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What pully does the PS pump belt run on ?

I'm adding Steeroids and a Power Steering pump to my 71. I already purchased the Steeroids from a Forum member but need to buy a pump/mounting bracket and don't know if I need a new pulley or not. Any help in showing me the belt routing would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

If you have the standard 2 groove crank pully, the P/S belt goes in the inner groove closest to the engine. The alt. is next and if you have AC it's another pully that gets bolted on. By the way I just might have a broken P/S pump laying around with the brackets on it. Free + shipping to a fellow CFM from WI. You got a good deal on the Steeroids kit. T
The following users liked this post:
69Chevelle (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

Default belt routing on my 1968

alternator belt is on after-most crank pulley
ps belt is on center crank pulley
ac belt is on forward-most crank pulley (NOTE: A/C installed by me, not stock, nor available on L79 in 1968).

These are deep groove pulleys.
See picture in below thread. It includes pulley numbers for 1968-- not sure if applicable to your year.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588279353

Last edited by carriljc; 02-26-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: clarified wording, added comment about deep groove pulleys
69Chevelle (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Which engine do you have, and do you have air conditioning? For 71, the pulleys needed vary by the engine, and with or without air.

LT-1's and L-48's without air, shouldn't need any additional pulleys. L-48's with AC, need a single groove pulley added to the existing two groove crank pulley. On 454's, the power steering pump uses a 2 groove pulley, and the alternator gets driven off of one of the grooves on the PS pulley. 454's w/o AC don't need any different engine pulleys, but 454's with AC need a special $200+, three groove water pump pulley.

Once I know which engine and options you have, I can post an illustration of the pulleys and belt routing.

If you have an assembly manual, all of the belt and pulley configurations are shown in it. If you don't have an AIM, you really should buy one.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM
69Chevelle
Instructor

Default Belt placement

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
If you have the standard 2 groove crank pully, the P/S belt goes in the inner groove closest to the engine. The alt. is next and if you have AC it's another pully that gets bolted on. By the way I just might have a broken P/S pump laying around with the brackets on it. Free + shipping to a fellow CFM from WI. You got a good deal on the Steeroids kit. T
I don't have A/C so my std 2 groove pulley should good to go. I have a complete P/S pump and bracket coming so won't need your generous offer. I was very pleased with the price of the Steeroids, the money I saved will go to other parts :-)

Any chance you could post a picture of your setup, the one posted in another response doesn't look like the same arrangement you describe.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:47 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Chevelle
I don't have A/C so my std 2 groove pulley should good to go. I have a complete P/S pump and bracket coming so won't need your generous offer. I was very pleased with the price of the Steeroids, the money I saved will go to other parts :-)

Any chance you could post a picture of your setup, the one posted in another response doesn't look like the same arrangement you describe.
Assuming you have an L-48, here is the illustration from the 1972 Corvette Parts Book, showing the belt routing. The illustration at the top of the page is the L-48 without PS or AC, and the bottom one is the L-48 with PS. The original part numbers and belt dimensions are included also.

69Chevelle (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:58 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Chevelle

Carriljc got it right. I must be loosing it, I just put a water pump on it 2 weeks ago. T

T
69Chevelle (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM
69Chevelle
Instructor

Default Belt routing

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Assuming you have an L-48, here is the illustration from the 1972 Corvette Parts Book, showing the belt routing. The illustration at the top of the page is the L-48 without PS or AC, and the bottom one is the L-48 with PS. The original part numbers and belt dimensions are included also.

That answers my question perfectly, thanks. And I do have a Assembly book on order.

Get notified of new replies

To What pully does the PS pump belt run on ?

Quick Reply: What pully does the PS pump belt run on ?