C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms...but has the correct idle in drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms...but has the correct idle in drive

Here's my problem. The Vette is idling VERY high in park. I have adjusted my idle on the carb and brought it down alot. It now will normally idle in park at around 1K rpms. When I go down to drive I'm idling in the 500 area. Strong idle barely changes, just stays at 500-650 rpms. I do know during cold start up, rpms can be pretty high, with the fast idle cam. But after an hour drive or whenever the Vette is fully warmed up, I can throw it in park and the rpms will shoot up to about 1.5K rpms. Never fails. Seems the warmer it gets the highier the rpms can go in park. What adjusts the idle in park? My 79 Vette has the TH350 auto. I'm not much of a carb guy but I have the knowledge to tinker with it and know what most of its basic components are.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:16 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms

I had exactly the same problem. When I did my tranny swap, I replaced the torque converter with a 2200 stall unit. That solved the problem. My theory is that the stall on the stock converter is so low that it causes this problem...

Maybe somebody with a better understanding of torque converters can shed some light on this.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:49 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms (page62)

I am having the same problem. Anyone else care to add there opinions on this.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms (VettePower)

A few things that could cause a high idle are:

Carb linkage binding or weak return spring

Fast idle cam for choke sticking in high idle position

Serious vacuum leaks

Dist advance weights binding and stuck in the advanced position

Dist advance springs weak and worn and or missing

While a higher stall convertor will be looser when put in gear, Its not the convertor causing the high idle in the first place.

When you put it in gear with a lower stall or stock convertor its normal for the idle to come down since the the engine is loaded against the transmission and wanting to move the car.

With the trans in park or neutral, The engine is spinning free of any load and able to spin at any speed the circumstances provide.

[Modified by Jvette73, 3:05 PM 9/24/2002]

[Modified by Jvette73, 3:09 PM 9/24/2002]
Old 09-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms (Jvette73)

Heck thats quite a few things to check. I believe I was messing with something months ago when the problem came to pass. I guess I'll have to check each and everyone one of those areas listed.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms (Phoenix79)

Any other Forum members want to add a bit to the solution? It seems I'm not the only Vette owner with this problem.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:50 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms (Phoenix79)

Check the choke to ensure it is coming all the way off

Remove the throttle linkage from the carb to check for binding.

remove and plug all vacuum hoses to check for leaks.

Check the timing

Get notified of new replies

To High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms...but has the correct idle in drive

Quick Reply: High idle in park...sometimes 1.2K rpms, sometimes 2K rpms...but has the correct idle in drive