C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:37 PM
frank24
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lack of power steering

On my 1981 Vette, I just replaced all three components of my power steering system. the power steering pump, the cylinder and the control valve. after refilling with fresh power steering fluid and bleeding the lines, I do not have any power steering assist at all at low rpm. Like coming to an intersection. when I rev the engine up to about 2000 RPM the power steering comes back into play. could this possibly be the flow control valve in the power steering pump? all three of these components were purchased as remanufactured from worthy vendors.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Very common for the pressure valve to stick after the system has been worked on. Take the pressure hose off the pump and then remove the big nut the hose fitting goes into. The valve should come out with the nut as there's a spring behind it. I bet your valve will stay in because it's stuck. Often you just need to tap on the pump near the valve for it to come shooting out. Wipe everything off, re-assemble and try again.

After I rebuilt my pump the valve got stuck twice, even though I never saw a speck of dirt inside the pump.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM
frank24
Instructor

Default Makes sense

Originally Posted by zwede
Very common for the pressure valve to stick after the system has been worked on. Take the pressure hose off the pump and then remove the big nut the hose fitting goes into. The valve should come out with the nut as there's a spring behind it. I bet your valve will stay in because it's stuck. Often you just need to tap on the pump near the valve for it to come shooting out. Wipe everything off, re-assemble and try again.

After I rebuilt my pump the valve got stuck twice, even though I never saw a speck of dirt inside the pump.
Thank you! I'm going to jack it up tomorrow and check it out. Doesn't sound very difficult or invasive.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by frank24
Thank you! I'm going to jack it up tomorrow and check it out. Doesn't sound very difficult or invasive.
Nope. Just messy.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
frank24
Instructor

Default Lack of power steering

Nope. Just messy.
Ok, I pulled out the flow control valve, it did not appear to be sticking in the bore. although I removed and cleaned everything anyway. what is the adjustment on the flow control valve for? 7/16 nut w screen looks like it adjusts the spring inside. would changing that adjustment induce better steering assist at lower RPM for me ??
Also, I siphoned out the fluid from pump prior and used a couple rags. No mess!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
zwede
Race Director

Never messed with the adjustment, so can't help you there.
The following users liked this post:
frank24 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Never messed with the adjustment, so can't help you there.

Get notified of new replies

To Lack of power steering

Quick Reply: Lack of power steering