C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi yvh,
Do you know if the water pump is in working condition?
Is the radiator you have copper or aluminum? What are you using to determine the original application for the radiator?
Does it fit in the core-support?
Do you have the fan shroud for this core-support and this radiator?
Do you have a fan and fan clutch?
Regards,
Alan

Maybe the $125 radiator/fan will be perfect, and a good deal.
BUT, from the information you've given there's absolutely no way of knowing that.
At the going price of radiators and electric fans I'd be wary of one available for $125.
Have you checked to see if you'll be able to get hoses to fit the radiator in your application?
brand new pump original radiator (1968 327 coupe) I have the fan shroud and fan clutch but my pulley system (gilmer drive) won't work with the original fan so I will need electric fans. Guy originally wanted $200 for the radiator and fans and said he paid more
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi yvh,
You'll really need to determine the condition of the radiator. How a radiator looks isn't always an indication what's going on inside.
Whether this is a wise move or not depends on how much will need to be done to get it installed and operating.
Are you confident that you can do the wiring necessary to operate it and also to control it?
Was this set up used on a Corvette? What year? What engine?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi yvh,
You'll really need to determine the condition of the radiator. How a radiator looks isn't always an indication what's going on inside.
Whether this is a wise move or not depends on how much will need to be done to get it installed and operating.
Are you confident that you can do the wiring necessary to operate it and also to control it?
Was this set up used on a Corvette? What year? What engine?
Regards,
Alan
the aluminium was used on a 1976 corvette with a small block supposedly making 500+hp
Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi yvh,
500 hp.?!?!
Since you're confident you'll know how to install it and get it operating properly who am I to discourage you.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Sounds like you've already made up your mind so I say go for it.
With that said do you have a cooling problem now? Is your current radiator leaking now?
If you on a budget (like most of us) my advise is to spend your money where you need it. I don't replace working parts "just because" you think they will fail or under perform in the future. If it's working correctly keep it in service for as long as you can. That is the way to manage a budget.

Quick Reply: Aluminum radiator question