C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 wiper motor runs with Wiper Door closed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Grover 3
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 72 wiper motor runs with Wiper Door closed

I purchased this C3 a few month's ago and have been going thru everything fixing and correcting many PO's issues.

I believe that the wiper motor that is on the car is a later version. There is a red/white wire with connection in the harness close to the WM that isn't connected and the motor has no connection for it. It show's in the wiring diagram that it goes to the wiper door switch and checking it gets 12v with the WD switch depressed and the wiper override switch turned.

When I turn on the wiper's they want to work without the WD switch depressed... (the WD is off for more BuBu repairs)

What is the function of the override switch and what direction is override?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Grover 3; 03-26-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are correct...without having that single wire coming out fit the wiper motor housing and going to the 12 gauge red/white wire in the harness...then the wiper motor WILL work even though the wiper door is down.

If you referring to the override switch is the one below the steering column....and it the black shaft switch.... when you pull it down it will ONLY raise the wiper door but it has NOTHING to do with making the wiper motor operate. It only controls the function of the wiper door itself.

The large switch in the center under the steering column with a **** like a stereo is the cut off switch for your wiper motor itself....so you can turn it and make the wiper blades stop so you can change them out.

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Grover 3
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
The large switch in the center under the steering column with a **** like a stereo is the cut off switch for your wiper motor itself....so you can turn it and make the wiper blades stop so you can change them out.

DUB
Yes, I was referring to the large **** that turns.

So if I'm correct It would be normal in the position that gives the wiper door switch power?? and when switched off the wiper motor doesn't work??
Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here is a simplified schematic of your system.

The center dash over-ride is supposed to cut power to the motor so that you can service the wiper blades. When you turn it to the "Open" position the motor will stop mid swing.

The limit switch on the firewall cuts the power on the red/white stripe wire when the door is closed so the only way the motor can run is if the door has begun it upward motion..

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
Grover 3 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
"The limit switch on the firewall cuts the power on the red/white stripe wire when the door is closed so the only way the motor can run is if the door has begun it upward motion."

Shouldn't the plunger on the wiper door mechanism at the switch be adjusted so the door is completely open BEFORE the wipers start? If the wiper door is even a bit slow the wipers can hit the door before it's fully open.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
"The limit switch on the firewall cuts the power on the red/white stripe wire when the door is closed so the only way the motor can run is if the door has begun it upward motion."

Shouldn't the plunger on the wiper door mechanism at the switch be adjusted so the door is completely open BEFORE the wipers start? If the wiper door is even a bit slow the wipers can hit the door before it's fully open.
Regards,
Alan
Alan...Your description is SPOT-ON! But he has a later design wiper motor that does not have the wire for the limit switch...so...this current wiper motor will work regardless is the wiper door is down or up....in case you did not know that about his wiper motor.

I do know that IF 'Grover 3' does not want to swap out the wiper motor with the correct one with the correct pigtail wire coming out of the wiper motor housing....there is a somewhat simple fix to make this work using the limit switch and cut-off switch under the steering column.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-27-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

No help to the OP with this comment, but try doing electric open/close and intermittent wipers on a '72 vette....

like me.....
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Grover 3
What is the function of the override switch and what direction is override?
The function is to stop the wipers in the up position to replace wiper blades.

According to my '71 owners manual: "Rotate the wiper service override switch control clockwise to stop the wiper blades on the windshield."
The following users liked this post:
Grover 3 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
The function is to stop the wipers in the up position to replace wiper blades.

According to my '71 owners manual: "Rotate the wiper service override switch control clockwise to stop the wiper blades on the windshield."
That had already been mentioned...Because I wrote it back in POST #2.

DUB
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 AM
Grover 3
Instructor

Default Excelent Information

Thanks for all your help, I now have a very good understanding of how the system should work. I will be installing the correct wiper motor so the system operates as designed.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 wiper motor runs with Wiper Door closed

Quick Reply: 72 wiper motor runs with Wiper Door closed