C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big block/LT-1 hood insert fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Default Big block/LT-1 hood insert fit?

My originals with lots of pitting fit fine. My pair of excellent-condition reproductions don't. I don't know what vendor they came from. I was advised that has been a long-standing problem. Is there a newer supplier of ones that fit? If not, what have you done to make the reproductions fit?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

The originals on my big block fit ok, and not sure off the top of my head on my dads original owner LT-1. Likely depending on condition of molds there would be some differences in fit though. This is purely my opinion though.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I had to do bodywork to make my originals lineup properly.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 62corvette
My originals with lots of pitting fit fine. My pair of excellent-condition reproductions don't. I don't know what vendor they came from. I was advised that has been a long-standing problem. Is there a newer supplier of ones that fit? If not, what have you done to make the reproductions fit?
There are GM produced mid-'70 examples that don't fit well. Possibly due to an update of the casting mold GM used. Almost always, the best course is to re-plate & re-spray your originals if your happy with the way they fit. The black can be replicated with some devilish use of quality 3M masking tape, SEM 39143 Trim Black spray paint and lacquer thinner for clean-up.

Dan

Last edited by jetjockey; 03-28-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree!

Originally Posted by 69Vett
I had to do bodywork to make my originals lineup properly.

Agree, mine were pitted and did not seat properly, so I took a small knife and file and shaved the inside surface to get a perfect fit and then touched up with matching paint. If you do this carefully on the inside surfaces, no one sees any of this unless you pull the insert off. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Big block/LT-1 hood insert fit?

Quick Reply: Big block/LT-1 hood insert fit?