C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly ditching ZZ4 idea for ZZ502 / couple of ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 03:04 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly ditching ZZ4 idea for ZZ502 / couple of ??

A bonus at work has just upped my mod budget for my Vette so I'm thinking of installing the ZZ502 over the ZZ4 I was going to purchase. Since I have a couple of BB Chevy items in my garage from an old planned 402 swap into my old Camaro I was wondering what I could use from my stash to get the 502 in my Vette...

1)I have a brand new flywheel for the 402...can I use it on the 502 or is the 502 externally balanced like the 454?

2)I also have all the brackets and pulleys for a short water pump setup on a BB non-vette car.(original app is unknown) I'll only be running the alternator and power steering. Has anyone got a BB into their vette using the regular car bracket/pulley setup?

3)Electric fuel pumps and myself have not gotten along well in the past...I could never get one to last longer than 6 months before it went out. ( I think my short time record was six weeks with a Holley :lol: ) Anyone have a good electric pump recomendation?

4)What would be a good intake and carb choice to put on top of this bad boy that would fit under my stock hood? It looks like you can order these things with both rectangular and oval port heads.
Would I be hurting performance much if I used a stock '73 LS4 setup?

Thanks in advance guys. :seeya
Old 09-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Possibly ditching ZZ4 idea for ZZ502 / couple of ?? (Vfastboy 73)

1. The 502 is externally balanced like the 454.

2. This is a guess, but I think short accessory brackets would work.

3. I've always had very good luck with electric pumps, especially Holleys. They have no tolerance for trash and a small granule will lock one up. Always run a filter between the tank and the pump.

4. If you're running rectangular port heads a factory LS6 intake from a 70 Chevelle or a 71 Corvette would come closest to fitting under the hood. I don't know of a factory alum. intake for the oval ports unless it's the 68/69 390 horse 427 intake which has a Quadrajet pattern on top. I'm sure there are aftermarkets that are low. I was unaware that there was a head option on the ZZ502. One of my buddies has one in a 69 Camaro and it came with oval port alum. heads.

Incidentally, the ZZ 502 is a great engine. My friend's hits hard enough at idle to attract attention and pulls HARD through the gears. I think you'll really like it. How about an aftermarket L88 hood to let you run the right intake? I know the rumor was that changing an LS6 to the older GM dual plane high rise intake was worth 30HP.

Quick Reply: Possibly ditching ZZ4 idea for ZZ502 / couple of ??