4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
MELVIN
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: VASS, NC, USA
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks!

Im usually really picky on maintainance, but kept putting off changing out my 4 speed gear oil until today because there is no drain plug, just a fill plug: You must get under the car, suction pump the old out, and refill the reverse. I finally quit putting it off and got a hand operated pump today, and here is what I found

I only got about 1/2 a qt out. I thought maybe it was because I just couldnt get the suction hose in the right area inside the case from the filler plug, as you have to kind of move the hose around to get around the internal parts to get at all the fluid. But still, I only got about a 1/2 qt total
sucked out

So I went to pump in new stuff, and got a full 2 qts in before it started to dribble out (the proper fill)

point is, dont wait so long to check your manual tranny fluid. Its not hard to get to, its just you have to get your car up on jacks, remove the plug, get some sort of pump, and go from there. I couldnt beleive I let it go for so long, so low

By the way, what is the total fluid capacity for a 4 speed? Neither the factory repair manual or Haynes states the total capacity for a 4 speed. Just that you fill until it dribbles out the fill hole

At the same time I changed the rear end oil. Same drill, but this time got about 2-1/2qts out. Placed in 4 ounces of posi additive, and got in just about 2 1/2 qts of new rear end oil
MELVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:46 PM   #2
Stingray1970
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Strongsville Ohio
Posts: 253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MELVIN)

I just looked in a 76 owners' manual and it says a four speed holds 3.0 pints
Stingray1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:08 AM   #3
LAvetteman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: South Central Louisiana
Posts: 4,650
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MELVIN)

Quote:
Im usually really picky on maintainance, but kept putting off changing out my 4 speed gear oil until today because there is no drain plug, just a fill plug: You must get under the car, suction pump the old out, and refill the reverse. I finally quit putting it off and got a hand operated pump today, and here is what I found

I only got about 1/2 a qt out. I thought maybe it was because I just couldnt get the suction hose in the right area inside the case from the filler plug, as you have to kind of move the hose around to get around the internal parts to get at all the fluid. But still, I only got about a 1/2 qt total
sucked out

So I went to pump in new stuff, and got a full 2 qts in before it started to dribble out (the proper fill)

point is, dont wait so long to check your manual tranny fluid. Its not hard to get to, its just you have to get your car up on jacks, remove the plug, get some sort of pump, and go from there. I couldnt beleive I let it go for so long, so low

By the way, what is the total fluid capacity for a 4 speed? Neither the factory repair manual or Haynes states the total capacity for a 4 speed. Just that you fill until it dribbles out the fill hole

At the same time I changed the rear end oil. Same drill, but this time got about 2-1/2qts out. Placed in 4 ounces of posi additive, and got in just about 2 1/2 qts of new rear end oil
Hmmmm, I thought my rear only used 1.5 quarts, plus posi addit.
LAvetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:32 AM   #4
MELVIN
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: VASS, NC, USA
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (71,454,4spd)

Sorry, my bad on the rear end. It only took 4ozs of additive and two, 23 oz bottles of GM rear end oil (just checked the trash)

But the tranny took a full 2-1/2 qts after pumping it as dry as I could before it started to dribble out
MELVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
Fevre
CF Senior Member
 
Fevre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Living the Surreal Life in Ypsitucky MI
Posts: 11,325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Stingray1970)

Quote:
I just looked in a 76 owners' manual and it says a four speed holds 3.0 pints


I tried to put in 3 quarts, not reading the capacity very carefully, but only got about 1 1/2 quarts in before it came running out all over the garage floor. :(
Fevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:00 AM   #6
Tom454
CF Senior Member
 
Tom454's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Raleigh North Carolina
Posts: 5,823
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Fevre)

Hey John...

Me & Mark just rebuilt his Muncie and we filled it before we re-installed it in the car....

The manual said 3 pints, and that is all we could get in before it started to come out the fill plug. We had it sitting on the kitchen table... we poured the oil in through the side cover (since it was still off), and when we levelled it correctly, the oil was right at the plug threads... just starting to dribble out. We left it at 3 pints, which seemed to be correct.

FYI

Tom
Tom454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:31 PM   #7
drspeedy
CF Senior Member
 
drspeedy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Up in the down WHA
Posts: 454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Tom454)

Quote:
We had it sitting on the kitchen table... we poured the oil in through the side cover (since it was still off).
:lol: :lol: There must not be a Mrs. Mark!! :lol:
drspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
Marks69BB
CF Senior Member
 
Marks69BB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: NC USA
Posts: 3,281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (drspeedy)

Quote:
We had it sitting on the kitchen table...

:lol: :lol: There must not be a Mrs. Mark!! :lol:
drspeedy Good call! But a lucky one; it was Tom's kitchen table! :lol: If you saw his garage at the moment you'd know why!

Constantly on the lookout for a new honey tho. (not ready for another Mrs. Mark just yet! :jester) Unlike the ex, she has to like vettes and put up with my infatuation with them.
Marks69BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:10 PM   #9
Fevre
CF Senior Member
 
Fevre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Living the Surreal Life in Ypsitucky MI
Posts: 11,325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Marks69BB)

Quote:
We had it sitting on the kitchen table...

:lol: :lol: There must not be a Mrs. Mark!! :lol:

drspeedy Good call! But a lucky one; it was Tom's kitchen table! :lol: If you saw his garage at the moment you'd know why!

Constantly on the lookout for a new honey tho. (not ready for another Mrs. Mark just yet! :jester) Unlike the ex, she has to like vettes and put up with my infatuation with them.
Me too. She also has to put up with my inflatulation in them. :jester
Fevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #10
Cali,68,L-79
CF Senior Member
 
Cali,68,L-79's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 6,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (drspeedy)

Quote:
because there is no drain plug, just a fill plug:
What kind of tranny you have? I have both fill and drain I remove the drain plug and let it drain out Then with fresh 80/90 and a hand pump and 4' hose pump it throughout the tranny with the drain plug still off till all I get is nice clean oil. Then put on the drain and fill it up to the lower edge of the fill plug (just barely dribbling out)

Cali,68,L-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:15 PM   #11
MELVIN
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: VASS, NC, USA
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Cali,77,L-82)

4 SPEED, M22
MELVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:58 PM   #12
Cali,68,L-79
CF Senior Member
 
Cali,68,L-79's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 6,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MELVIN)

Quote:
4 SPEED, M22
Then what the hell do I have??? Saginaw?

Cali,68,L-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:48 PM   #13
73 LS-4
CF Senior Member
 
73 LS-4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Moro IL
Posts: 2,329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MELVIN)

My M-21 has drain and fill plugs, what year is your tranny? maybe the early muncies didn't have drain plugs.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
73 LS-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
Stingray1970
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Strongsville Ohio
Posts: 253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Cali,77,L-82)

I think you have a sixth design ( 1974-1988 ) Super T-10.
Stingray1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:23 PM   #15
PRNDL
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Huntersville NC
Posts: 26,375
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Stingray1970)

From a corvettemagazine.com article by Alan Colvin:

" For the 1970 model year, there were two major changes to the Muncie four-speed. In previous years only the M22 transmission had a drain plug, however, beginning in 1970 all Muncie four-speeds now had a drain plug."

I do not have a drain plug on my 68 M20. John, You dont mean M22 "rock crusher" do you? You actually would have a drain plug if it was an M22, but more common M21 or M20 for 68 had the place for the drainplug, but none drilled. MJ
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:32 PM   #16
MELVIN
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: VASS, NC, USA
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MNJack)

Fellas,

My "drain" and filler are the same hole. On the side, passenger side of tranny, about 1/2 way up the tranny body

My main point was this: Just make sure you have enough fluid. Mine was low as hell after putting it off for so long.
MELVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:06 PM   #17
Cali,68,L-79
CF Senior Member
 
Cali,68,L-79's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 6,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (MELVIN)

Quote:
I think you have a sixth design ( 1974-1988 ) Super T-10.
Anything on the tranny case to verify?? Car is all original so want to know what kind of tranny I have.
Cali,68,L-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:16 PM   #18
Larry B.
CF Senior Member
 
Larry B.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Orlando Floriduh
Posts: 5,638
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks! (Cali,77,L-82)

My original late 69 M-20 has a drain plug.
Larry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 4 speed manual tranny owners READ: proper fluid level checks!
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Transmission fluid change help. doctorde C5 General 4 06-23-2014 10:53 PM
    78 Oil Capacity 1978vett C3 Tech/Performance 16 09-05-2013 01:47 PM
    B&M Transmission pan, fluid change fun jim993 C5 General 3 07-25-2011 07:39 PM
    LS3 Oil Capacity ? Gearhead Jim C6 Corvette General Discussion 3 08-28-2009 03:14 PM
    ? about MN6 transmission fluid capacity - conflicting specs. BlueSpeed C6 Tech/Performance 8 02-22-2007 03:40 AM


    Tags
    capacity, crusher, fill, fluid, location, m21, m22, muncie, plug, rock, saginaw, speed, super, t10, tranny

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.