Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-08-2002, 05:56 PM   #1
14-Paul
CF Senior Member

Default Visone Corvette

These guys' name came up & I thought I remembered an article on the used car dealership, Visone Corvette of Florida, stating some legal troubles Visone got into over Odometer tampering.

I've gone through my old corvette magazines and can't find the article.

any help?
14-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (14-Paul)

ALL 'corvette dealers' are crooks, never saw one that wasn't....

doesn't mean you automatically get ripped off for repair work, but on a car for sale on their lot....forgetaboutit....they are like any other used car dealer there....even if it's a new car dealer.....they know more about the car than you do, and if you can't protect yourself by obtaining more kowledge about the car than that lying salesman, welllllll...whattya' expect???

buy from an individual...and still need know more than them....

and many of those 'individuals' may have a title from another person...maybe even unknown to you.....but the address and name is differant....well, he's flipping the car.....maybe patch it up and flip...but flipped just ehe same....

GENE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:14 PM   #3
GrandSportC3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Send a message via AIM to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Yahoo to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Skype™ to GrandSportC3
Default Re: Visone Corvette (mrvette)

Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #4
racinhound
CF Member

Send a message via AIM to racinhound

Quote:
And I suppose you have dealt with "ALL" dealers then and that is what gives the informed opinion on this matter then huh? :rolleyes:

While I will agree there are some out there that will lie their a** off to get you take a car that is not as advertised that does not justify your comment of "ALL" Each dealer should be given an opportunity to prove itself to a potential customer before condemened by a single person that may have had a bad experience elsewhere.........O and inviduals NEVER lie do they???? Not looking for a fight just simply pointing out that stereo-types are :bs
racinhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #5
bamavettes
CF Senior Member

A lot of people thought they were buying a car from Visone and found out 3-4 years later, that they had only leased the Vette. They got ripped off bad.

I thought Visone had closed all their locations, or changed their name to try and protect themselves.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is my first Vette that got me started in this hobby 37 yrs ago.
bamavettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:27 PM   #6
bamavettes
CF Senior Member

Gene,
Nothing wrong with " flipping a Vette " if it is a good Vette at a good price.

There are a lot of people here on this forum that do it as a hobby. I have bought from them and sold to them. They are good honest hard working people.

bamavettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 PM   #7
fauxrs
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (bamavettes)

I bought my 78 from Visone in Indianapolis. I almost certainly overpaid by a grand, and did have some problems with trying to get the dealer to make good on some things they said they would. But I am only talking about 300-400 dollars worth of work.

I obviously still have the car today (I didnt lease it thank heavens :lol: ) and love it to death. Sure I probably could have gotten a better deal looking around but the timing was right and the car was pretty much as advertised so no major complaints.

I wouldnt recommend buying a car sight unseen from them, or anyone, for that matter (that people actually buy cars on e-bay based on a photograph completely baffles me) but if you go and see the car and are knowledgable you should be able to walk out happy.
fauxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:35 PM   #8
Larry B.
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (racinhound)

I do think there are many reputable corvette dealers....More so than with regular cars. Dealers make their money by selling you a car.. That's their livelyhood so you can't deny them a living..The old saying "buyer beware" always holds true. Corvette dealers tend to be very knowledgable about Corvettes and know that they will loose bussiness if they rip customers off. Word travels fast amongst a specialized group. I also believe there are a few shady dealers. I'd buy from a Corvette dealer before I'd buy from any used car lot that just "happens" to have a Corvette for sale.
Larry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (silvervetteman)

silver, hate disagree with you so violently,but 'corvette dealers' have the inside track to all sorts of things....from restamped recast engines, trannies, and the like....
that's exactly why I would NEVER pay more for a supposedly matching car...
like I said, IN FACT, the buyer needs to know MORE about the car than the dealer....

but in fact, being that way, with more knowledge, means the buyer would not be dealing with a dealer in the first place....

nor with a person flipping the car.....

like any other car, if you buy used, you gotta know more than the seller, or you been/going to be/...screwed....fact of life....

and the older the cars are, the more people get shafted....pretty paint jobs...patched interiors, bent destroyed frames,; rusted out frames....

somewhat hard for an individual to fake a car, but a dealer with hiring practices of burnt our druggies/the like for body/paint...and other work, can 'restore' a car to what looks wonderful on the surface, but totally JUNK underheath....shiney paint jobs are not worth anything....fact of life, but boy do those eyes open up to the shine...and the wallets too soon afterwards....

and I take HUGE exception to the old apologetic approach of 'arguement by exceptiion' like my use of the word 'all'....that's ok, I"m ONLY 95% right...so I overstated the case a bit to save words....but guess what??? I"ll take those odds to Vegas and bet all day on that.....

I"m totally sick of the 'arguement by exception trick' in any debate....

nuff said...

GENE
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:16 PM   #10
Chuck Gongloff
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Visone Corvette (silvervetteman)

I'm with "Bama" on this one. I remember Visone getting into trouble with "creative leasing schemes". People bought (or THOUGHT) they had bought a Corvette, only to find they had leased them....at a VERY cheap monthly rate, with a HUGE balloon payment due after so many years.

You paid, lets say, $200.00 per month for 36 months. That's $7200.00. At the end of the 3 years, you owed a $10,000 balloon payment to "buy" the car. If you didn't pay, you turned the car back in, and they did it again. Thought they were out of business too. They used to have several locations. Chuck
Chuck Gongloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:34 PM   #11
joevette57
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to joevette57

I have to side with Bama & Silver. I am a Corvette owner, fanatic and hobbyist. As I travel alot in my business, I am always combing newspapers, Auto Traders, websites, etc for Corvettes that I feel are reasonably priced or possiby priced below the market. Knowing how fickle the economy is, I never buy a car that I wouldn't mind driving if it didn't sell.
Many of the cars I have sold to folks around Florida I see regularly at different Corvette events. I've never met one that has complained that I sold them a lemon.
There are several small independent shops and dealers I know of in Central Florida as well as the Fla west coast that are reputable as well. Corvette buyers that are novices should do their homework and seek out knowledgeable help when looking at old Corvettes.
But hey, These ARE old cars! Things will go wrong with these babies now and then. I had a freind of mine a few years back who had a nut and bolt frame off resto done on his 65 by a pretty popular restoration shop. On his way home, the master cylinder failed. ( It was new ). As the saying goes.... poopie happens.
As far as Visone, they weren't really a dealer. They were a leasing and loan company. The Corvette was simply an instrument to initiate the loan/lease. I looked at their cars in Pompano when they were open there. They took great interest in trying to sell me a car.... until I told them I was paying cash. At that point I was almost literally shown the door.
But back to my point. Car purchasing has always been a buyer beware market, and that will probably never change no matter how much Big Brother tries to protect us.
joevette57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:44 PM   #12
Larry B.
CF Senior Member

I see your point... to a point. :lol: I would like to think that potential buyers would do their homework first when buying a collectable car just as they would if they were buying a piece of art or antiques. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay top dollar for anything unless they knew something about the subject first. The more the customer knows the less likely he is to get ripped off.. I guess some people are just nieve about things like that.
Larry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:25 PM   #13
StrayDog
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ipswich, Massachusetts , USA, Home of the Clam. Massachusetts

Visone Corvette, had a large Corvette storefront/ setup in Saugus, Mass, The story goes he , :eek: had a intimate relationship with a young thing, who worked at his facility ,she became :eek, after court became involved....... dealership was gone . :eek: so the story goes , may be based on fact & may not ;) :seeya

[Modified by StrayDog, 7:27 PM 10/8/2002]
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #14
14-Paul
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (StrayDog)

i had heard about the crazy financing schemes, but thought they were run out of FLA for tampering w/ odometers.

I am pretty sure I read they used as defence the fact that they were a leasing company and that the florida odometer law specifically pertained to the sale of cars not leasing. they basically admitted to the tampering, but said there was nothing in the law books to stop them.

I think the courts said they were full of it, and shut them down.

I brought this up recently and was asked to find the old article, but haven't been able to. oh well, not a big deal, its ancient history i guess.

I would have to agree that i wouldnt buy a used Vette from any of the specialty corvette dealers, unless of course i start printing my own money :lol:
14-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:31 PM   #15
page62
CF Senior Member

Aw shucks...I bought my Vette from the local specialty dealer. Aside from paying about $1000 too much, I'm perfectly happy. And that extra money was offset by the time and heartburn I would have expended looking at private sellers advertising used Vettes in "good" :bs condition! So I'm one satisfied customer -- even 6 months later (and yes, I do have a clear title!) :yesnod:
page62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:31 AM   #16
C3 Shark Tank
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (page62)

I know some of the guys who've been around here longer will remember this. There was a dealer out of Arizona I think, sold some guy a ZR-1 and it turned out they washed the title through a couple states to clean it up....the car was a total before or something I believe. The guy made a web site telling his story and they tried to shut him down claiming he was defaming them....judge said :bs Never really heard how it turned out, was this Visone as well?
C3 Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:23 AM   #17
Titanium Rat
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (C3 Shark Tank)

Quote:
A lot of people thought they were buying a car from Visone and found out 3-4 years later, that they had only leased the Vette. They got ripped off bad.
that goes to show you,you should read your contracts very carefully,,,,,,
i buy a new car about every year and a half, and i am guilty of just signing my name to that 3 page contract.
Titanium Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 AM   #18
paintdaddy
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Visone Corvette (Titanium Rat)

Visone also had a store in atlanta.I heard they got shut down because of legal problems.After hearing this ,I guess that was true.I never trust a dealer,ecspecially on an old car. :yesnod: :seeya
paintdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:13 AM   #19
chuck d
CF Senior Member

I heard his exwife turned him in to the IRS. chuck d
chuck d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
POLO-THE-VETTE

Default Visone Corvette

My Vette was purchased at a Visone corvette in Massachusetts brand new and as of today 2-21-2010 I had never had a problem with it. I only have 56K miles on it (I'm 100% sure those are original miles as the second owner) I believe car lovers will experience some kind of disappointment at the beginning of their "car purchase career" but hey! that is the only way we learn right? Just remember that there are good honest people out there too as there are some people that want to rip you off! but it is in you to be able to recognize those individuals right away.

Good luck to all with Vette purchases!
POLO-THE-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Visone Corvette

Tags
atlanta, cars, corvette, corvettecom, corvettes, dealer, florida, ma, massachusetts, sale, saugus, visone, vissone, vizone, z06