C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller cam experts,chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 02:13 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roller cam experts,chime in...

I`m about to buy a Chet Herbert cam.Its named "B6PJ" and the guy who has it, told me its a Mec roller cam and he has driven it as one with mec rollers.
I looked it up on the net and i found out that its actually an Hydralic roller cam
Is there an differens between the Mec roller cam and a Hyd roller cam,or are they interchangable?
Any thoughts on this one is gold worth to me...
_______
Old 10-14-2002, 03:03 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (BB wowbagger)

I do not belive that you can use hydraulic rollers lifters on a solid roller lifter cam shaft or vise versa. The cam is made to be used with a specific type of lifter to my knowledge. Maybe he was mistaken. When most people say mechanical I think of them meaning a solid lifter cam shaft.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:09 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

As I understand it. It wouldn't matter what kind of roller (H or S) you use on a H-roller cam. The only real difference between the two is how steep the ramps are ground and of course the total number of degrees that the cam hold the valve at max lift.

Never put a set of H-rollers on a cam designed for solid rollers.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:15 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (gkull)

As I understand it. It wouldn't matter what kind of roller (H or S) you use on a H-roller cam. The only real difference between the two is how steep the ramps are ground and of course the total number of degrees that the cam hold the valve at max lift.

Never put a set of H-rollers on a cam designed for solid rollers.
That what I was thinking!

Do you know if there is a diff in the actual size of the rollers? Seems with the mech roller you would want a smaller diameter roller for the steeper ramps. My hyd roller has some steep ramps, can't image what the mech roller ramps look like. :eek:
Old 10-14-2002, 03:28 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (Fevre)

So i could use solidrollers on a Hydralic roller cam,but not a Hydralicroller on a Solidroller cam? :confused:
:cheers:
Old 10-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Fevre
Race Director

I would check with the manufacturere first. There may be a diff in the material used or the manufacturing process. The mech rollers may 'eat' the hyd roller cam if it the lubes aren;t hard enough or if the mech rollers actual rollers are a diff size, ie samller diameter.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I gotta say something here, first it's a used can and then on top of that you are not sure that lifters match up with the cam ? In my humble opinion there is no chance that cam would be installed in my engine
Old 10-14-2002, 03:45 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (MotorHead)

The cam is a used one,its about 2 months old,i`m getting kinda cold feet about this deal also..Sure the roller cams doesnt wear down as quickly as a mec cam or a hydralic,but theres the "unknown" factor..
I belive that a solidroller cam is a little tougher in strength due to higher valvepressures,and a Hydralicroller is "normal" strength.Its not a high lift cam ,only.576.So the valve pressure wont be all that much more than a normal hydralic.
The cam card says that theres a .20 valve lash,and that info would be kinda "odd" if its a hydralicroller,since they are "zero" lash".
I would like to contact Chet Herberts cams,but they dont answer any E mails and calling them would be a problem ,since my "Technical" english only takes me around the block :lol:
Old 10-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I belive that a solidroller cam is a little tougher in strength due to higher valvepressures,and a Hydralicroller is "normal" strength.Its not a high lift cam ,only.576.So the valve pressure wont be all that much more than a normal hydralic.
Depends on the cam. Most "street" solid rollers are cut from a cast core just like a hyd. roller, while "race" rollers are cut from stronger billet cores. If you do buy the cam (I don't see a problem), just make sure you run the correct, matching roller lifters (hyd. or solid).
Old 10-14-2002, 04:39 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (Flareside)

Alot off opinions on this one.. :confused:
Someone would really make my day by contacting Chet Herbert and ask them about my problem,since my technical english is kinda bad :smash: .
Their phone number is:(714) 750-1211
The cam in question is B6PJ..Maybe someone sittin`at work feels like giving a confused Swede a lending hand :blueangel:
Old 10-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Do you know the maek and model of the lifters that are being used or the ones you plan on using?

BTW The company is in Anaheim, so you A's fans who have nothing to do might be able to help the Swede out. :)
Old 10-14-2002, 04:54 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (Fevre)

Yeah ,its Comp Cams Verticalbar lifters.. :cheers:
Old 10-14-2002, 07:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

It's no problem to run solid rollers on and H-roller cam. Roller cams don't require a breakin and swaping them from one motor to next isn't a big deal. All roller cams are made from better steel. The only area of concern is what kind of distributer gear to use. I only use sleeved gear roller cams so I can use common distributer gears. (not Bronze)

Flat cams both H & solid are ground with an angled face with causes the flat tappets to rotate as they go up and down. They require a breakin period and the same lifter has to be used on the same cam lobe because of ware patterns
Old 10-15-2002, 12:21 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (gkull)

I believe the other way around will work.

Solid anything cams are ground with a "clearance ramp" to gradually take up the lash in the valvetrain. A hydraulic roller lifter installed on a solid cam would work OK.

A solid roller lifter installed on a hydraulic might or might not work. It depends on the rate of lift ground into the cam. If the cam is fairly aggressive it could slam the valvetrain around too much and cause issues. The first few degrees of lift on a solid are pretty slow as compared to a hydraulic.

If this is a big block cam with only .570 something lift, I don't think it is worth the trouble. That's a very tame cam and a flat tappet will work fine in that range.

Used roller cams can be a real bargain. But considering how far away you are, I would seriously reconsider buying it. I would want to see it first.

What's the price? Chet Herbert cams are routinely below $200 new. I also believe Mountain Motor on the Forum here can get a good deal on rollers.

JIM
Old 10-15-2002, 01:35 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Roller cam experts,chime in... (427Hotrod)

I believe the other way around will work.

Solid anything cams are ground with a "clearance ramp" to gradually take up the lash in the valvetrain. A hydraulic roller lifter installed on a solid cam would work OK.

A solid roller lifter installed on a hydraulic might or might not work. It depends on the rate of lift ground into the cam. If the cam is fairly aggressive it could slam the valvetrain around too much and cause issues. The first few degrees of lift on a solid are pretty slow as compared to a hydraulic.

If this is a big block cam with only .570 something lift, I don't think it is worth the trouble. That's a very tame cam and a flat tappet will work fine in that range.

Used roller cams can be a real bargain. But considering how far away you are, I would seriously reconsider buying it. I would want to see it first.

What's the price? Chet Herbert cams are routinely below $200 new. I also believe Mountain Motor on the Forum here can get a good deal on rollers.

JIM
Well,.The price of the cam is about 80$,so its not any money to speak about..The lifters 100$...Feels kinda odd to buy a cam with lesser lift then my hydralic cam i`m using now (0.594)...
Man,i think i`ll dump the cam and keep the rollerlifters.. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Roller cam experts,chime in...

Quick Reply: Roller cam experts,chime in...