C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:52 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Windsheild replacement

When the windsheild was removed and the top of the frame was replaced the guy who did it removed all of the little black clips that the molding attaches to. When I bought my car the molding was already removed and some of it was missing. I ordered the new clips but I can't see where all of the holes are. Could someone tell me how many go across the top and either side + bottom if any. Also a rough description of the spacing? One last thing, do these clips need to be installed before I have the Windsheild installed? Any other info is greatly appreciated. :cheers:
Old 10-17-2002, 10:17 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (wadew10)

Ok I might be able to shed a little light since I just had my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago. On my 69 convertible there were a 11 clips that needed to be installed across the top frame before the windshield gets installed in order to hold on the reval molding. They are spaced about 2 inches apart. If you have you reval molding you can look at it a see where all of the little tabs are and that should give you an idea of where the clips need to be installed in the top frame. On the back side where the other clips go I would have to look to give you the correct number. Also make sure that you get the clips installed where the corner moldings screw into. The corner moldings and the top molding should be installed prior to the window going in. Best thing to do is try and screw it all down so you know you have all of the clips in the correct holes.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:40 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

You need a clip for each TAB on the reveal molding. If you hold the molding against the top of the w/s frame, you will see where each TAB hits and therefore where each should be. That will give you the count ( mine has 10 tabs ) and spacing - in fact, you should be able to 'find' the holes. Mine is a '69 so there are none on the sides - the moldings screw to the frame - yours may be different. I spent the afternoon yesterday buffing all of my molding, so I have it right here and the frame is clean and prepped so I had that to reference also. All I need to do is put it all together (tonight). Good luck.
Paul
Old 10-17-2002, 10:44 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (James)

James,

I wasn't aware of clips on the "back". Did you mean "U-Nuts" or do I need to research the back side also?

Paul
Old 10-17-2002, 11:01 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (pws69)

The Nuts that are on clips I guess is what I meant to say.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:19 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (James)

As mentioned, the best way to find the locations of the holes for the molding clips & screws is to use the moldings as the reference.

For the top one, use the tabs on the molding that slide into the clip for locating the clips/holes. On the sides (pillar post), use the holes in the moldings to line up/locate the holes in the post frame.

The top clips need to be in place prior placing the glass. There is not enough space to attach the clips without damaging the glass after its in. After the glass is in the molding just pushes down into the clips.

Since the sides attach via screws to the pillar post on the inside toward the door, no action is required prior to windshield install.

Mark
Old 10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (mdsmith)

OK let me make sure I have this correct.
Locate the top ones prior to windshield install. Should be 10 or 11 use molding as reference. The sides I am a little confused. There are clips that go on the front side of the channel like the tops, correct? These are held in place when you attach the pillar molding to the frame? The screws go through the pillar molding and into the clips on the other side? :confused:
Old 10-17-2002, 12:34 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Side moldings screw to the pillar - no clips required (on a '69 anyway, I believe yours is the same).
Old 10-17-2002, 12:43 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Windsheild replacement (pws69)

I think the best thing to do is test mount all of your moldings (corners and top) and then make sure you can screw them all down nice and tight. Some screw into the frame and I do believe some need clips/nuts. The test fit will confirm what needs to be put in place prior to the windshield going in. Don't forget about the bracket that goes right above the rear view mirror it needs to have a few clips/nuts installed in the upper frame also.

Get notified of new replies

To Windsheild replacement

Quick Reply: Windsheild replacement