C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker questions??? (Speedomotive)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stroker questions??? (Speedomotive)

I have been seriously considering going with a speedomotive stroker instead of the ZZ4 with hot cam. I would like some input on which engine would better fit my needs, is more reliable and streetable, and what upgrade options might be worthwhile. I am hoping to find a reliable street/strip engine that will run well on pump gas. Here are the two I am considering:

Chevy 425Hp Strongarm 400 Streetmaster...
http://www.speedomotive.com/chevy_42...m_400_stre.htm

450hp SBC Streetwarrior Chevy 350 Stroker
http://www.speedomotive.com/450%20H....%20WARRIOR.htm
Old 10-29-2002, 02:04 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (Brett K)

I too am very interested in information on this company and their product. I'm seriously considering the 400 short block. Would my original torquer manifold and ported/matched Trick Flow 195's work well on this engine?
Any information on the quality of their product and their customer service would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Fevre
Race Director

They do not offer a warranty and believe they never do anything wrong. I bought a brand new 383 from them and it spun the #6 rod bearing on start up. They would not even consider the idea they did something wrong but I believe they did not remove the over casting on the new block so the rod tapped against it. They are cheap and their customer service, or lack of, reflects it.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:28 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (Fevre)

I have also heard bad things about them, but I also know some people who have bought from them. If you don't mind re-checking their work and doing the assembly, you can buy their kits and save some cash...
Old 10-29-2002, 02:43 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I don’t have experience w/ SpeedoM ... but I’ve heard similar bad reports of failures & no support. Look closely a SpeedoM & see you’re getting a lotta used stuff ... and by the time you add the balancer & flexplate etc ... you’re around $3800 ... for old tech non-roller cam, old turned down cast cranks & thin cylinders. They get those HP #’s at high compression with iron heads. Compare all that to a GM crate motor made with all new stuff, forged cranks, roller cams, newer tech ... get the idea?

Take a look at GM Performance Parts' factory sbc crate known as HT383 (GM as in Chevy). 4-bolt main, forged 3.8" stroke crank, 4" bore, roller cam, 9.1:1 CR (great for street & pump gas). Comes with iron L31 Vortec heads. Rated at 415 TQ, 325 HP on required minimum 87 octane ... under $4000 complete less carb & dist ... GM PN 12497317. Also, HT383 short block available from GM ... but nearly as $ as complete motor. http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...8s/HT_383.html

Say you have nice fresh GM HT383 you paid $3800 for ... YOU can add a hotter cam & lite headwork for WELL under $1000 ... you’d then be making performance exceeding SpeedoM ... and doing it with all new GM stuff & newer technology.

Also take a look at link below to Hot Rod Mag's six-step buildup of an HT383. BTW, I verified all those HRM dyno results (including baseline) were with 91 octane “76 brand” fuel. http://www.hotrod.com/editorial/arti...=text&id=66278

If you don’t have the time or inclination to modify consider something like sallee’s ZZ450 ... again, less than $2000 more than SpeedoM and all new stuff & tech.
ZZ450 - 383 ci, 458lbs torque, 450hp ($5550 @ sallee chevy pn SC450BLB) GM aluminum fastburn heads, 4” bore, 3.80” stroke --- requires minimum 92 octane http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...eeZZ450HP.html
Old 10-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (jackson)

Hind sight being 20/20, I should have gone that route.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:46 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

You might want to talk to Olivier about this issue also. He was also looking at Speedomotive and ended up going with a company that also sells their engines on eBay. Of course, you'd need to talk to him about it, I don't remember the details. I don't think hardly anybody has heard good things about Speedomotive....I'd stay away.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:30 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (tshort)

I had heard almost nothing but good about SpeedOMotive before I bought my short block. Some of which were from the marine guys, which in my opinion is a harsher application. I've also heard that they are under different ownership/management than before, but don't know how true this is.

I bought a 388 short block and upgraded some of the parts. After I bought it (in 2000), I've heard some bad stuff about them. I also had (what I beleive to be) a bent rod and the piston did not "sit" right in the cylinder. After talking to them and trying to figure out the problem over the phone, I sent in the rod/piston and they sent me a new set. I now have 13k miles on the engine and it seems to be running fine, with the exception of some oil consumption which I firmly believe to be either from running real rich or oil getting in from the top end.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with a local engine builder, but you can't beat their prices.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:49 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been seriously considering going with a speedomotive stroker instead of the ZZ4 with hot cam. I would like some input on which engine would better fit my needs, is more reliable and streetable, and what upgrade options might be worthwhile. I am hoping to find a reliable street/strip engine that will run well on pump gas. Here are the two I am considering:
You are taking your chances with ANY crate motor you buy, and I dont care who you are buying it from. Sure I'd be willing to bet on the quality of manufacture of a GM crate, but you can bet your sweet bippy I'm pulling the oil pan and checking torque on bolts and clearances on bearings.

Keep in mind the warantee found on GM crate motors (to the best of my knowledge)covers flaws in componants and workmanship only - it does not cover labor or parts that break because you are racing. And frankly I'd rather not have to pull a motor to determine if the warantee covers the failure. At least if I build it myself I know how it was done and I can only blame myself.

I've installed 2 different crate motors for friends in their cars - one was a really cheap Advance motor, the other a Targetmaster motor (GM replacement - non performance) fortunately I looked inside before installing, the Advance motor would have probably flown apart if I tried to start it, severa rods were way undertorqued and one main bolt was way under torqued.

The targetmaster had one main cap that required an additional 20lbs torque on it. Fat lot of good a warrantee would have been to either.

back to your question - I would do the hot cammed ZZ4
Old 10-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (fauxrs)

GM warranty covers parts AND labor. Took me a while to dig it up but I found it and linked the warranty info during a post but do not have the link anymore.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:58 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM warranty covers parts AND labor. Took me a while to dig it up but I found it and linked the warranty info during a post but do not have the link anymore.
Thats excellent then, I didnt know that - Learn something new every day. :cheers:

Definitly go with teh GM crate then.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (fauxrs)

Of course I don't think they will warranty it if you do the upgrades I did to mine. :D

Old 10-29-2002, 05:04 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don`t know about speedomotive.I bought my parts from summit and built my 383.Fair price and quality parts.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:08 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

In all fairness, I'm not convinced that GM offers ANY warranty for their performance engines (those on GMPP site) ... in fact the GMPP site has a discliamer that indicates there's no warranty on GMPP products. I'm still searching for documentation to show there's any GM warranty on performance parts/crates ... haven't found it yet. It's possible that certain GMPP dealers may offer their own ... dunno? Goodwrench & Target motors do have some GM warranty. If someone can doc GM warranty for GMPP parts/crates lemme know? In the end, if faced with no warranty from either GMPP or SpeedoM ... I'd go with GMPP. I'm no legal eagle, but if you bought crate from local dealer/supplier ... and it blew up soon thereafter ... warranty or no ... I suspect you could settle w/ that local dealer/supplier ... local is the key here.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have had great luck with their master kits which start at $1500 for the the rotating assembly - pistons, rings, rods, bearings, crank. I do my own assembly because I don't trust some back room poorly paid flunky.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (gkull)

I've got the 2002 Scoggin-Dickey catalog right in front of me. In the sidebar on page 10....

GM Performance Parts
Crate Engine & Short Block Warranty Policies

GM Performance parts crate engines carry a 12 month limited parts only warranty. Parts are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty specifically excluldes engines and partial engines used in racing, any competition, or marine use, and parts that fail as a result of alteration. Should any parts prove to be defective, that part and only that part may be warranted at the discretion of General Motors. The buyer assumes full responsibility for the entire cost of repair, service, damage, and/or loss to property. Unless specified by GM, these engines are to be used only in 1973 and earlier pre-emmissions vehicles. It is the buyer's responsibility to check for any state and Federal laws concerning engine replacement, modification, and emmissions regulations.

[Modified by Scooter70, 4:40 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (Scooter70)

I've got the 2002 Scoggin-Dickey catalog right in front of me. In the sidebar on page 10....

GM Performance Parts
Crate Engine & Short Block Warranty Policies

GM Performance parts crate engines carry a 12 month limited parts only warranty. Parts are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty specifically excluldes engines and partial engines used in racing, any competition, or marine use, and parts that fail as a result of alteration. Should any parts prove to be defective, that part and only that part may be warranted at the discretion of General Motors. The buyer assumes full responsibility for the entire cost of repair, service, damage, and/or loss to property. Unless specified by GM, these engines are to be used only in 1973 and earlier pre-emmissions vehicles. It is the buyer's responsibility to check for any state and Federal laws concerning engine replacement, modification, and emmissions regulations.

[Modified by Scooter70, 4:40 PM 10/29/2002]
Can you determine if that warranty is one that SD offers ... or is it provided by GM?

Get notified of new replies

To Stroker questions??? (Speedomotive)

Old 10-29-2002, 05:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (Scooter70)

You get this with the cheap ones:

GM Goodwrench engines and transmissions are backed by a 36-month/50,000-mile consumer transferable limited warranty. ACDelco remanufactured engines come with a 36-month/36,000-mile transferable limited warranty, while ACDelco transmissions come with a 24-month/24,000-mile transferable limited warranty. *
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/dhtml/pa...engtrans.shtml

I dug deeper once before and it stated parts and service. No such luck with the hi-po crates I guess.

[Modified by Fevre, 3:44 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 05:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I was considering for a long time to purchase a Stroker engine from Speedomotive.. The reason that I didn't buy from them was that they charge extra for a lot of things.. On the engine that I wanted (450 HP 383) you would have to pay extra for roller rockers, 4-bolt block, etc......

I decided to get my engine from AR Racing instead. I got a 383/465 HP engine for $2995. The engine came with roller rockers, 4-bolt block etc... without any additional cost, and the engine is AWSOME!!!!

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 10-29-2002, 05:55 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Stroker questions??? (jackson)

Can you determine if that warranty is one that SD offers ... or is it provided by GM?
I believe that it's from GM.

Like Fevre stated, the regular GM Goodwrench engines carry a 36month /50k miles warranty parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Stroker questions??? (Speedomotive)