C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter noise -- shim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 11:13 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Starter noise -- shim?

When I removed my starter, I don't remember removing any kind of shim.

I've since reinstalled my starter, and I now hear a noise just after the engine fires. When the starter is turning the engine, all sounds fine. But just as the engine catches, there is a noise that is typical of a misalligned starter.

Do you guys have suggestions? Is my starter going bad? Is it possible, that the starter now needs to be shimmed?

The only changes made to the flexplate, is that it was used when the engine was balanced. I'm assuming they balanced this as well. Would this change the dimensions with the starter?

I don't want to drive the car until I know what's going on, as I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Starter noise -- shim? (joeveto)

All I know is I have the exact same problem. Took starter off, put back on and now it does same thing no shims involved. I think shimming is going to be the only solution.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:15 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: Starter noise -- shim? (joeveto)

Machinist used both my flexplate & damper during my balance job ... but the balancing (add-subtract weight) was done only to crank itself ... flexplate & damper were not molested. It's my understanding this is SOP ... regardless if motor is Internal or Neutral or External balance.

Take a look at your flexplate ... if unmolested there should be no problem with a new one of same part number.

Before I'd shim ... a new starter drive (bendix) would be the first thing I'd change.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:55 PM
jersey68l36
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Starter noise -- shim? (jackson)

With the inspection cover off, I would obseve the lateral runout of the flex plate. It could be that it somehow got damaged from the time it was removed from the crank and is now running out too much.

jersey68l36

Get notified of new replies

To Starter noise -- shim?

Quick Reply: Starter noise -- shim?