C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 12:09 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way??

Talked to a guy at a corvette show that cut his shroud (on a '69 BB) vertically and said it helped install his radiator. I remember breaking my shroud into pieces just getting it out. Someone in forum mentioned cutting the shroud horizontally but I can't find the old posting.
Plan to install my shroud sandwich stlye with condenser, core support, core and shroud bolted together as one piece with A/C condenser line wrapped along side. Hope to lower this sandwich with a pully rig or maybe a cherry picker. Has anyone tried to cut his shroud and still happy with it?
Man! These fan shrouds are expensive. :confused:

[Modified by cardo0, 5:21 AM 11/2/2002]
Old 11-02-2002, 01:14 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way?? (cardo0)

Had to cut mine to get rad. out of my '76 for a cam change....cut it top and bottom with my Sawzall, then hotgunned it back together. Kept smoothing it down after reglueing, and you really have to look to find the seam.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:53 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Don't cut your shroud unless you can't find any other way to get the radiator out. I've pulled and reinstalled my radiator a couple of times, without cutting the shroud or removing the core support.
At first it doesn't look easy, but once you learn the trick of it it is really pretty simple. The trick is to remove the radiator Before you remove the shroud.
Unbolt the shroud from the radiator and support, pull it back as far as you can at the top. Then pull the right side of the radiator up in a rolling motion to the right. The hardest part is getting the lower hose pipe past the A-arm, once it is cleared of that obstruction, it will come right out.
Then the shroud is no problem to remove.
Replace it is no problem. Put the shroud back in place, tilt it back, and then stick the right hand side of the radiator in between the shroud and the core support, and roll the radiator down to the left. Again it will take some fiddling to get the lower radiator hose connection past the A-arm, but it will go.
By the way it has been about 2 years since I last pulled and reinstalled my radiator and shroud, and I could have gotten the directions reversed. So try rolling and lifting from either side, I remember trying both ways and I can't remember which way I had to go to get the lower hose fitting past the A-arm.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:33 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way?? (Smokehouse69)

Many Thanks for the Timely Reply Smokehouse ;)
Old 11-02-2002, 05:39 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Agree with Smokehouse. Don't cut it, that's "Bubba" work. Do it right. Remove the bolts under the inner fenders that hold the core support. Also, remove the bolts under the core support. That will allow you to pull the entire assembly...the core support, the radiator, AND the shroud forward. That should give you enough room. You might have to remove the fan and fan clutch. In many cases it might make it easier to remove the hood too. That way you can assemble the entire unit, with all new seals in place, and put it in without fighting it. Chuck
Old 11-02-2002, 08:30 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way?? (Chuck Gongloff)

Bubba or not, I"ll only fight that shroud ONE time, cut it at a seam about 1/3-1/2 way down on each side, making a top and bottom half....
on the bottom section, drill and sandwhich the plastic with aluminum stock, allowing the top section to slide in place, then the two-four top bolts hold everything securely....works like a charm, this way in the future, it's easy to work on, not a hassle.....I hate fighting things over and over again when the cure is simple.....what's easy, cheap, thoughtless, of GM and works ok on their assy line is fine for them, I don't see living with it though....

GENE
Old 11-02-2002, 09:18 AM
69L68
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had cut mine on the top back in 89'. I regret it now. The structure and alignment of the shroud depends on it staying rigid. Long story short. The fan eat my shroud.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way??

Quick Reply: Should I cut the fan shroud?? Which way??