C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets?

Old 11-03-2002, 12:28 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Rick Church)

Rubber :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Rick Church)

I really don't think it matters too much as long as the gaskets are put on straight and the valve covers aren't warped. A big mistake I used to make was over-torqueing the gaskets.
I have personally had really good luck with silicon rubber gaskets, they are put on dry and remain flexible after repeated uses.
For the silicon rubber gaskets the hardest part is getting the to stay in one place while you are installing the covers. They are so flexible that they have a tendency to creep or squeeze out of position unless you "tack" them in place. To do this clean the gasket groove in the cover with break cleaner and use tiny dots of some sort of adhesive to hold it in place, then re-install the cover and bolt it down.
Another thing that helps is to use load spreading bolt retainers. They are cheap and apply much more even pressure around the edge of the covers.
Retainers are available from Jeg's and Summit and probably a lot of autoparts stores, they are about 3" to 4" long and replace the small retainers used on Chevy sheet metal covers.
Cork gaskets are okay, but they get hard and crumble after getting hot over the years.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:52 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I used rubber, no sealant. Worked great. No leaks.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:00 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto on the rubber. When you put them on make sure that your valve cover bolts don't bottom out because the gaskets are thinner than some of the cork ones out there. My bolts were too long and didn't compress the gasket correctly. I had a leak for almost a year that looked like a rear main seal until I accidently bumped the valve cover one day and saw it move.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (vettfixr)

Cork!! I like cork gaskets. Clean the valve covers well. Make sure they're not bent. Metal-smith them back straight, especially if they've been overtightened around the screw hole. Use permatex to "glue" the gasket to the valve cover. Use bolts and nuts to align the holes. Let them dry for a day. Then put them on without any goo on the head side. Has worked well for me for decades. The rubber ones are HARD to keep in place...they slip and slide. Chuck
Old 11-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Chuck Gongloff)

I'm a cork guy too. They both work ok, but the cork is a little easier to keep in place.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:49 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I swear by the cork gaskets with the steel shim in the middle, they are the BEST!! ...redvetracr
Old 11-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubber, rubber, rubber! Use a bit of RTV on the valve cover side to keep it in place and enjoy a leak free motor (from that part anyway :) ).

I have the Fel Pro rubber gaskets and they are great!

:cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 10:42 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Chris O')

Rubber will not often work on stamped steel valve covers. Too stiff.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:13 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Turbo-Jet)

Screw-in studs instead of the standard cover bolts. This aligns and keeps the gaskset from moving around on you. Also, use thicker cork, it holds shape better.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:33 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (Chuck Gongloff)

Cork!! I like cork gaskets. Clean the valve covers well. Make sure they're not bent. Metal-smith them back straight, especially if they've been overtightened around the screw hole. Use permatex to "glue" the gasket to the valve cover. Use bolts and nuts to align the holes. Let them dry for a day. Then put them on without any goo on the head side. Has worked well for me for decades. The rubber ones are HARD to keep in place...they slip and slide. Chuck

I do the same and my Vette has no leaks.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:24 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (vettesite)

I swapped to rubber as a pair came with my new alloy covers (thanks VettePaul :) ). Since having them, when I pull into my garage after a long run, there is a smell of cooking/burning rubber coming from under the hood. I've checked all hoses, etc, etc several times & found no hint of any problems. Does anybody else get any strange smells when using rubber ones?
:cheers:
Old 11-04-2002, 01:53 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

I agree, your procedure for installing the gaskets are correct. Never use blue goo or anything similar. I would recommend using the yellow or black weatherstrip cement as the primary sealer. Just clean the overhead cover spread some of the cement [3M] is a good one, on the cover. Let it get tacky and place the gasket down into the cover. I personally place some objects on the gasket to make sure it stays straight. In about 15 minutes its dry and ready to put on. The beauty of this is you can move the cover around without the worry of the gasket being on straight. or bumping a rocker arm and moving the gasket. Some wheel bearing grease on the head side will help preventing the gasket from sticking to the heads. Another thing, is you can use them over and over. One note however, the modified gasket consisting of both cork and rubber is very flexible and probably the better choice as a pure cork gasket gets brittle. I have been using the same gaskets on my valve covers on all my engines for years without the necessity to buy new ones. :cool: :cool: :cheers:
Old 11-04-2002, 02:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets? (wallyknoch)

I use the thick cork gasket and use Permatex #2 on the valve cover side to hold them in place and nothing on the motor side that way when you take the valve cover off the gasket stays on the cover and you can reuse it as many times as you like. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a quick reply, rubber or cork for valve cover gaskets?