C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:05 AM

Default Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!!

This is very sweet!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871949648

Later,
Rob
Old 11-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (RLH)

Nice looking car but no matter how nice it is still just a clone, another non-original car. I just cannot see spending that kind of money for a clone. Only good for hot rodding or for local cruise in's.

tom...
Old 11-05-2002, 10:24 AM
lampedusa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they are using:

1. Holley 750 = wrong
2. Compression of 11.1 = wrong

I'm not dissing this car, as it's positively beautiful. I'm merely saying that almost everything that makes the L88 what it is (as stated in "How to Hot Rod Big Block Chevy's" -- recommended to me by Chuck Harmon) is not in/on the car. The compression is very important, and so is the Holley 850cfm carb... ;)

I just think that for what they're asking, they could have at least added the most important parts. Without that high compression, the car almost becomes an normal 427, not the legendary L88. Chuck I feel important after reading that book. :yesnod:
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 AM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (Tom73)

Nice looking car but no matter how nice it is still just a clone, another non-original car. I just cannot see spending that kind of money for a clone. Only good for hot rodding or for local cruise in's.
I don't see it like that at all. This car is without a doubt a very nice "tribute" to the most influential Corvettes ever made. Sure you can't win Top Flight with it at any NCRS sanctioned event, but you can have the knowledge that you made the car what it is -- which I think worth more than any award. People make L88's because they're the corner stone of the Corvette -- Big Blocks forever.

You see people comparing the Z06 against the L88. hell, the L88 just won by you trying to compare them. If you figure that it was made in 1967 and the Z06 34 years later. Best Corvette ever? I think so. :smash:

[Modified by lampedusa, 9:38 AM 11/5/2002]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Really nice car, unfortunately I don't think it will go for anything close to what they spent making it. I'd like to have the car, but wouldn't be willing to pay more than 30K, and that's probably too high. It certainly appears to be "new" in all respects, but it is just a replica.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:25 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I have mixed feelings about this car and the posts some of you guys have made. First off I wish I could afford it. It is definitely a well done restoration.

For those that complain that it is a: fake/clone/not original/has wrong carb/wrong compression ratio (I have that book too!), yes...that is all true. But...

Where in the world are you gonna FIND an ORIGINAL that (a) anyone can afford and (b) will run worth a dang with the current gas available?
If you are only interested in buying an original collector and locking it up in a vacuum chamber for posterity and never driving it, then I could see you not wanting this car. But it looks to me like they made this car as a driver and NOT a collector. I like the idea that they are honest about the car and don't try and pawn it off as original.

Think about this...the second you install a non-factory part, whether it's a different brand spark plug or a different wiper blade, your 100% ORIGINAL Vette is no longer ORIGINAL. What we have here is a pretty close clone that would be a blast to drive and race. If I had the cash and somewhere to put it and didn't have arthritis bad in both knees (no stick shifts for me), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 1:56 AM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:54 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (Dep)

That car is very clean, and very sharp. I like it alot for that alone.

If I were to make an L88 clone I think that I would make it the race motor that the L88 was famous for.

When I was a kid I got a chance to sit in an L88. It had all the stickers including the "do not open windows in excess speeds of XXXmph". Way cool. Of course Im 23 now, I was maybe 10-14 when I saw it. It sold for over $100,000 dollars :eek: Good thing they guy kept his original Shelby Cobra among alot of cool cars. Just a garage full. Packed with original low mile cars. Just hung on to them from when they were new. :cheers:
Old 11-05-2002, 12:07 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car, but a way to much $$ for me.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Tom73
Race Director

If you are only interested in buying an original collector and locking it up in a vacuum chamber for posterity and never driving it, then I could see you not wanting this car. But it looks to me like they made this car as a driver and NOT a collector. I like the idea that they are honest about the car and don't try and pawn it off as original.
Dep,
I personaly love the car but would not consider buying it. It is a clone. That rules it out for "an original collector and locking it up in a vacuum chamber for posterity and never driving it..." But the car appears to be perfect. Looks like the type that you would want to lock up for prosterity but that can never be since it is a clone. So what do you do with it? Drive it? It is so clean and perfect, I would hate to put it on the road and watch the value drop as it wears. Race it? Well, it is down on power with the lower compression and smaller carb. Would also require quite a few more mods before you could be competative. Show it? Too many deductions as a clone to be shown at NCRS or Bloomington Gold, could not even make second flight at NCRS or get a Silver at BG. Maybe show it things like Super Chevy events and local shows. Would be good for those. But for local show all you need is good paint, clean engine, clean interior and you are set to go. No need for the bolt level detail of this car.

I guess I am just confused about the purpose and intent of the car. I am not trying to knock the car, it looks great, but it is just not for me.

tom...
Old 11-05-2002, 12:14 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Amen to that!!!!

Rod :cool:
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (LATNC3 (Rod R))

On a side note, for all those ******** who point to abysmal 1/4 mile times for L88s and other 60's era muscle cars, take a look at these tires and imagine a 2002 f-body/mustang/etc trying to go anywhere on these. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 11-05-2002, 12:41 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

:eek: . Couldn't be anymore right with those tires. Thats crazy.....
Old 11-05-2002, 12:43 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (SuperFast80)

On a side note, for all those ******** who point to abysmal 1/4 mile times for L88s and other 60's era muscle cars, take a look at these tires and imagine a 2002 f-body/mustang/etc trying to go anywhere on these. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The first thing I would do if I bought that Vette is drop the hammer and smoke those tires until there was nothing left but rims. :D
Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM
OatBoy
Pro

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (lampedusa)

I don't see it like that at all. This car is without a doubt a very nice "tribute" to the most influential Corvettes ever made. Sure you can't win Top Flight with it at any NCRS sanctioned event, but you can have the knowledge that you made the car what it is -- which I think worth more than any award. People make L88's because they're the corner stone of the Corvette -- Big Blocks forever.

You see people comparing the Z06 against the L88. hell, the L88 just won by you trying to compare them. If you figure that it was made in 1967 and the Z06 34 years later. Best Corvette ever? I think so. :smash:

[Modified by lampedusa, 9:38 AM 11/5/2002]
I dont remember, what is the difference between the l88 and the zl-1? ZL-1 was not production> or was it really limited?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (OatBoy)

I dont remember, what is the difference between the l88 and the zl-1? ZL-1 was not production> or was it really limited?
The engine in the ZL1 had an alumn block. Also only two were produced.

tom...
Old 11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (SuperFast80)

Ditto to the same people that compare the lateral g's it will pull with those tires compared to todays cars.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice! Did the L-88's really have L-88 hood emblems?? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!!

Old 11-05-2002, 09:20 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 677 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (1970 Stingray)

Nice! Did the L-88's really have L-88 hood emblems?? :confused:
The L88 decal does appear in the 69 assembly manual but I believe that none were put actual L88s.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:23 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 677 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!! (SBR)

On another note I feel that this is a truly beautiful car but IMHO that the seller would have been better served by restoring it to stock specs since it was an L71 to begin with.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess I am just confused about the purpose and intent of the car... tom...
What is the point? Fun! That car must have been a hell of a lot to fun to build and looks like a blast to drive. A lot of money? Well that is relative. This looks like a new car to me so $45K is not so bad. New ones are 50 to 65 out the door. Ok so you get a warranty when you buy one from GM. Originality? There were some 35,000 of these built or something like that. So who cares if a few are not original? Look how much those old ’32 Ford roadsters bring when done nicely. More than the “factory correct” ones. I think we need more guys out there willing to put the time, effort and money into such nice work. And more recognition from the fans of such accomplishments. The car shows would be even more interesting to go to than they are now.

George

Quick Reply: Check out this L88 clone on Ebay!!!