C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to change a flywheel?

Old 11-11-2002, 11:07 AM
im181owner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to change a flywheel?

My starter problems have turned into a possible flywheel problem. After going through 2 NAPA starters, I decided to take this thing to a real mechanic, this guy only works on corvettes. Anyway, he talked me into getting a hi-performance starter ($240), and now tells me that the starter sticks in the teeth of the flywheel, causing it to not disengage immediately when the car starts. He says it may work itself out, but if it doesn't, I will need to change the flywheel. Tells me a hi-performance flywheel is about $100 and one similar to what is on it now is about $40, with 4 hrs labor, I'm looking at a possible $350 - $400 depending on the flywheel. So, my question is, how difficult is it to change the flywheel myself. On another note, I no longer have a garage, and if I do it, will need to do it in an apartment parking lot. Have him do it, or should I?
Thanks in advance!! :cheers:
Old 11-11-2002, 11:14 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: How hard is it to change a flywheel? (im181owner)

if you are handy turning a wrench, you can do the job yourself.

1. Support the engine by placing 2x6's under the pan and a couple of jack stands or if you have a hoist support the engine via the hoist.
2. Remove the tranny and the bellhousing, pressure plate.
3. Remove the flywheel...if you have access to a torch, just heat the ring gear, it does not have to be red hot, just slightly warm to expand the ring gear....it will come loose from the flywheel....go to your chevy dealer and get a replacement ring gear, apply a small amount of heat and slip the ring gear on the fly wheel....
4. At this point, I'd install a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:24 AM
mp77
Racer

What kind of tools do you have? Do you have floor jack or ramps or both. In a garage with the proper tools it is not a hard job. The amount of labor hours and price you quote seems high for a pro. Does this pro have a lift and air tools. I used to be able to pull a th350 tranny at aamco in less than 20 minutes. Going back in is not much longer. Get an estimate from a tranny shop on changing the flywheel. Even at four hours the going rate for mechanics is about 45 dollars per hour. Four hours and 40 for the flywheel would be 200. But like I said, with a lift and air tools , this is about an hour job for a good mechanic. Why does your car require a high performance starter and flywheel. Is your compression bumped up real high? If not then all stock stuff should work. :cheers:
Old 11-12-2002, 07:41 AM
im181owner
Racer

Default Re: How hard is it to change a flywheel? (mp77)

Only reason I was going with high performace, was that my starter has went out 2 times(the bendix), and this mechanic told me that I should just go with a high performance starter because it seems to solve a lot of the typical starter problems with these C3's.
What it seems now (after I got the starter) is that the starter gear gets stuck in the flywheel teeth and hangs when the car starts, causing a nasty sound, and it turn eventually kills the bendix in the starter. So, if the high performance starter doesn't break in and stop sticking, this starter too will go out. The mechanic says it may stop sticking and be fine. He couldn't say for sure.

I wasn't sure why extra shims wouldn't fix the sticking problem. It seems the more shim you put in, the less the starter gear will go into the flywheel gear, and only the front face of the starter gear will ever touch the flywheel. Does the sound right to anyone? This mechanic says that they tried to shim every which way, and no luck.

Thanks for your input!! :cheers:
Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 AM
mp77
Racer

Yeah, starters can be tough. I had put headers on an elcamino years ago and had starter problems until I took them off. It was a heat issue, and it was doing the same thing yours is. I posted about an auto tranny earlier and someone posted about a four speed. If you have an auto, I stick with what I said. Any reputable tranny shop should be able to change your flywheel out in an hour. If you have a manual it is just as quick if not quicker. :cheers:
Old 11-12-2002, 01:28 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"and now tells me that the starter sticks in the teeth of the flywheel"

Wouldn't some simple starter shims fix this. I know it used to be pretty common - in fact - starters used to come with shims ...

[Modified by sray454, 12:29 PM 11/12/2002]

[Modified by sray454, 12:30 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
im181owner
Racer

Default Re: How hard is it to change a flywheel? (sray454)

"and now tells me that the starter sticks in the teeth of the flywheel"

Wouldn't some simple starter shims fix this. I know it used to be pretty common - in fact - starters used to come with shims ...
I thought the same thing as you can see my comments above, If shimmed enough, then the starter tooth should not totally engage in the flywheel tooth, only one side of the starter tooth should touch the flywheel. Any ideas why the bendix would not disengage before the flywheel comes around and hits the back of the starter tooth?
Thanks guys!! :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:54 AM
im181owner
Racer

Just wanted to shoot this ttt one for one last look. About the shimming. Anyone?
Thanks!! :cheers:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The shimming will get the teeth farther out but if the teeth on the flywheel are chewed up you will need a flywheel Pull the starter and look at all the teeth and see what they look like. If they are OK try shimming the starter first before replacing the flywheel.

Get notified of new replies

To How hard is it to change a flywheel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard is it to change a flywheel?