C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp gauge flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amp gauge flutter?

The amp gauge in my 69 flutters momentarily when any electrical load is applied such as power iwindows. I have had several c-3's that did this an never figured out why. Everything is fine and the gauge works perfect, it just gives a very quick flutter at first . Anyone else have this? :confused:
Old 11-24-2002, 09:24 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (silvervetteman)

Hello,
My amp gauge flutters too. It seems to flutter it's worst on start up.

[Modified by 68rdstr, 8:24 AM 11/24/2002]
Old 11-24-2002, 09:35 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (68rdstr)

Gotta admit I wonder about this, too. The other night I turned on the headlights and it didn't just flutter, it pegged and then dropped immediately back to zero. Kinda made me worry about taking the car out.

JB
Old 11-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (JB)

I had a 71 for 14 years.. It did NOT flutter for quite a few years and then oneday .... it just started fluttering. So I know that is not a normal thing. Maybe someone has the solution for us.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine started fluttering out of nowhere so doing a search the only suggestions are look for loose connection somewhere. Still, I tightened all connections and still flutters all the time.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:18 PM
HWY 9 - Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double check your connections, my '69 did the same thing, only sometimes it would indicate a heavy charge(almost pegged) replace the alternator(twice) but no change. ended up being the large red wire leaving the 2-wire plug on the alternator had a hairline crack in the spade connector. which i did not see when i took the plug apart to clean connections. it drove me crazy for months, i must have cleaned every connection in the car. didnt figure it out till is just quit charging altogether and when i looked the hairline crack had bro9ken. replaced the spade connectors and the plug end and no more flutter. hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Check the red wire at the the horn relay. I had a loose wire and it took me forever to find it. It started out as a fluxuation on the amp guage. Then it manifested itself int a intermitten powerloss at the radio. Then total failure.

Needed to get towed, which was embarrassing. I never had a car break down where I could not get it home to fix it.
Ed
Old 11-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (ED DINAPOLI)

I've been pretty thorough in checking all of the connections. Th flutter is not a fluctuation, just a very momentary rapid flutter at the first touch of any switch. All else is fine. The 71 I had did that for years and I never located the problem.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 5:08 PM 11/25/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 12:27 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (HWY 9 - '69)

double check your connections, my '69 did the same thing, only sometimes it would indicate a heavy charge(almost pegged) replace the alternator(twice) but no change. ended up being the large red wire leaving the 2-wire plug on the alternator had a hairline crack in the spade connector. which i did not see when i took the plug apart to clean connections. it drove me crazy for months, i must have cleaned every connection in the car. didnt figure it out till is just quit charging altogether and when i looked the hairline crack had bro9ken. replaced the spade connectors and the plug end and no more flutter. hope that helps.

Same exact thing here!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:58 AM
71vettman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silvervettman: If your ammeter drops drastically and then goes back to zero only when you initally creat a draw from the battery I dont think you have a problem. I think its just showing that your battery is discharging for that split second before the alternator increases its current output to correct for the "new" draw from the battery.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2002, 05:42 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Amp gauge flutter? (71vettman)

I don't think there is a problem, it is just that some cars do this and some don't. I had one that just started doing it one day. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Amp gauge flutter?

Quick Reply: Amp gauge flutter?