C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance????????

I got my GT+ kit today, and have been looking through it tonight. The kit looks complete, except for the front sway bar which is on backorder. I am going to call VBP after Thanksgiving one day to discuss this some more. I do have a couple of questions for you guys in the meantime. (VBP isn't open and I need to discuss it with somebody) :D I see it says in the instructions that come with the composite rear spring that it needs to be at least 3 inches away from exhaust, and to leave heat shields in place. My question is, isn't that kind of hard to do? I mean, I have true duals but they run in the same spot as factory tailpipes would, so this should be a problem for everybody. The composite spring will sit higher up that the stock steel because it is thinner, but isn't it still just barely 3 inches from the tailpipes???? And does that little piece of tin really help? Not that I'd remove the tin shield anyway, just wanting to make sure my new spring will be ok.

AND, I got the smart struts and brackets, and the whole thing. What exactly is it supposed to be that the smart struts bracket does for me???? It appears that I wouldn't need either the smart struts bracket or the adjustable strut rods. The smart strut brackets have the bolts with the cams on the end just like the stock setup. If I have these I really don't need the adjustable strut rods, and if I have the adjustable strut rods I can bolt them solid to the factory strut rod bracket and do the same thing can't I? I am just not sure I understand what the smart struts bracket does for me????

Justin
Old 11-28-2002, 12:23 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance???????? (Dalannex)

I can't answer your questions about the strut parts, but I had the GT kit in my 68 and did notice that the fiberglass leaf spring was very close to my exhaust - probably closer than 3-inches. However, after 8 years, and 40,000 miles, I never noticed any heat-related damage to the spring. VB people are very knowledgable and will most certainly be able to help you out with any questions that may go unanswered here. I wouldn't worry about the spring though.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:48 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're worried about it you can use some exhaust wrap to shield the pipes.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:56 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure the pipes are directly below the heat shields and clearance won't be a problem. If you ae really worrying about it, wrap the pipes with Thermo Tec or similar to add insulation.
The smart strut bracket lowers the strut rod connection point which reduces the wheel camber change as the wheel moves up and down. See the archived article on suspension in "Vette Improvement Program"for a better explanation.
The adjustment slots on the bracket are to fine tune if you're experienced enough to use it (most of us are not). The adjustable strut rods are larger diameter and stronger than OE and have poly bushings for less compliance. Also they don't slip out of adjustment like the OE ones.
DO NOT drive your vette without a front sway bar.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance???????? (flynhi)

Also they don't slip out of adjustment like the OE ones.
DO NOT drive your vette without a front sway bar.
What prevents them from slipping out of adjustment? They still have the eccentric cam bolts like the stock setup????

I won't be driving the car until about May, so I have a little time to get my front bar before driving it. The only thing is that the front bar being on backorder means I have to wait to install the kit. :(
Old 11-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My VB plastic rear spring is only about 1 1/2" from the exhaust, no heat shields, and I haven't had any problems. It's been that way for about 8 years now BUT I also haven't driven the car continuously for more than an hour or so at a time since the install. It might be going on a 900 mile trip in a few months and I'm hoping that the heat buildup isn't a problem.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for a long ride last night, and when I got home, I went under and felt the spring at the close spots. It didn't feel warm at all, not near the 250 or so max temp stated.
Jon
Old 11-29-2002, 01:13 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance???????? (Jon69L46)

You guys are making me think that I'll be alright with my exhaust clearance. I would think that these springs are made to be pretty tough, considering what they do and the environment they are in and all. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I hope everything works out OK.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:49 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that these springs are made to be pretty tough, considering what they do and the environment they are in and all .

Not to trivialize your concerns by any means now, :blueangel: but I just have to think that if heat was a concern at all, it would have been noted by now and the part modified. Or at least that it would come with notation about reworking the ex system as necessary.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:19 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I run the 360 lb. spring on my 80 for about 7 years now,and had the same fear based on the warnings in the instructions. I used muffler wrap,which looked like crap,and eventually unravled and came off. Been fine without it.

Get notified of new replies

To VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance????????

Quick Reply: VBP composite spring and exhaust clearance????????