C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:54 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation

I have received the new selector shaft and seal for my 700R4. Problem is, I am not certain of the positioning of the 'parking pawl actuator rod in reference to the 'park lock bracket/parking pawl' (using my TH350 terminology here, hoping it applies).

Is this the correct positioning for the 'actuator rod' in my 700R4 just below the park lock bracket (should I center it on the plate in the 'square')?

Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 AM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation (TedH)

The actuator rod should slide through the park lock bracket and contact the parking pawl.After you install it,just shift the trans by hand and check for correct operation.It`s movement will allow the pawl to lock and unlock.One tip is you may have to hold the pawl in the locked position to slide the actuator rod fully into position when you install it.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:31 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation (J75)

How do I move the parking pawl? Do I have to remove anything to get at it?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:35 AM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation (TedH)

Just move it with your finger or a screwdriver.Nothing needs to be removed.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:46 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation (J75)

I did it! Went out to the garage and pushed the parking pawl 'sideways' (that piece of metal that is visible through the slightly square hole the actuator rod end is resting on in the picture). I couldn't figure out for the life of me how it moved as it will not move if you push against it with the rod. Had to catch an edge of it and push it to the side (I think it rotates) just enough to squeeze the rod through the opening. The pawl is springloaded so it rests against the rod end. I then, very carefully installed the new selector shaft seal (pressed it in good) and setup the selector shaft through the linkage; tightening the shaft nut snugly and ensuring the 'spring roller' (that item that is on a long piece of metal that has a roller at one end that catches in the teeth of the selector). Once I was satisfied all was set, I bolted the pan and seal on and set the trans down on the floor.

I'll start re-installation of the trans into the C3 this evening. Thanks to all! :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation

Quick Reply: 700R4: Parking Pawl Actuator Rod Installation