C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (mapman)

Announcers made some BS remarks "at times"?????????? I found a high percentage of their comments to be BS. One of Alan D's classics from last year sticks in my mind: "the 387 cubic inch small block Chevy is one of my all time favorites". This year he described the 67 GTO (which would've been a 400 if original) as a 389 with 380HP. The announcer's continual babbling and mis statement of details is really an embarrassment for Barrett Jackson. I'd equated it to getting a rugby announcer from Europe to come and do the network commentary on the Superbowl, even though he'd never attended a football game and knew nothing of the rules. I hope BJ gets other E Mail complaints besides mine, because I find the EXTREMELY POOR commentary to be a major distraction to an otherwise very entertaining event.

As far as Reggie's ZL1, actually there were 69 of em, rather than the 54 somebody else thought. I've seen these cars recently creep to 200K, but don't personally know of a documented sale much in excess of that number and these cars had THE orginal motor installed in the car. It's my understanding the the original block for Reggie's white car is now little more than an additional piece of documentation, having been damaged beyond repair. I was astonished that two people bid the car to 270, or whatever it was. To no sale and quote a $330 reserve just displayed a lack of desire to sell it. I'm very suspicious that it was a conspiracy to grand stand a little and impress the crowd and TV audience, and there was no intent to sell it from the beginning.

The red/red 67 435 coupe was another mystery at 125. They alledged that it was the only red/red 435 coupe known. I seriously doubt the claim, but even so, big deal, it sure isn't a huge price enhancer. I haven't seen 435 coupes get in this price range and the roadsters that sold seemed closer to the real market, or maybe a little low. For that car to have commanded that kind of price I'd have expected only a couple thou. miles and original paint, which if either was present I missed it in the description.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:40 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (mapman)

... he isn't the end all be all authority on muscle cars as the announcers were making out ....

Probably not the end all authority on muscle cars - but - I bet he knows more than the announcers.

The announcers made some :crazy: :eek: :bs statements at times. If you don't know about the car, then you ought to be quiet and not display your ignorance. I especially liked the "urban legend" comment about Corvette build sheets.
I know Reggie knows cars it's just the announcers made it sound like they were worth a premium because they were a Reggie car, which i don't think tey are. Brock Yates was esspecially dissapointing in his commentary couldn't tell a Challenger from a 'Cuda for goodness sake he owns/owned a Challenger :crazy: :confused:
I missed the "urban legend " build sheet thing though i guess i'll have to go through the tape.
Ken :cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 08:15 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (Solidlifters)

Announcers made some BS remarks "at times"?????????? I found a high percentage of their comments to be BS. One of Alan D's classics from last year sticks in my mind: "the 387 cubic inch small block Chevy is one of my all time favorites". This year he described the 67 GTO (which would've been a 400 if original) as a 389 with 380HP. The announcer's continual babbling and mis statement of details is really an embarrassment for Barrett Jackson. I'd equated it to getting a rugby announcer from Europe to come and do the network commentary on the Superbowl, even though he'd never attended a football game and knew nothing of the rules. I hope BJ gets other E Mail complaints besides mine, because I find the EXTREMELY POOR commentary to be a major distraction to an otherwise very entertaining event.

As far as Reggie's ZL1, actually there were 69 of em, rather than the 54 somebody else thought. I've seen these cars recently creep to 200K, but don't personally know of a documented sale much in excess of that number and these cars had THE orginal motor installed in the car. It's my understanding the the original block for Reggie's white car is now little more than an additional piece of documentation, having been damaged beyond repair. I was astonished that two people bid the car to 270, or whatever it was. To no sale and quote a $330 reserve just displayed a lack of desire to sell it. I'm very suspicious that it was a conspiracy to grand stand a little and impress the crowd and TV audience, and there was no intent to sell it from the beginning.

The red/red 67 435 coupe was another mystery at 125. They alledged that it was the only red/red 435 coupe known. I seriously doubt the claim, but even so, big deal, it sure isn't a huge price enhancer. I haven't seen 435 coupes get in this price range and the roadsters that sold seemed closer to the real market, or maybe a little low. For that car to have commanded that kind of price I'd have expected only a couple thou. miles and original paint, which if either was present I missed it in the description.
I was there and I agree in that the red coupe was way over priced but it was a beautifully restored car. As far as the Reggies cars are concerned I personally would not pay a premuim for it because he owned it. I was there to inspect the 68L88. See my post on L88 gets 125K :cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (ken markusa)

I missed the "urban legend build sheet" comment, but did hear Alan and the other know nothing talking about the "secret sheet" on the tank on the 66.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:54 PM
stingray_76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (page62)

:mad
Old 01-20-2003, 01:31 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much? (page62)

Collecting at that level the prices are all tremenously subjective based on who wants these cars. 200-300k, It all based on hyping the desireablity. Putting a personalities name on a car adds something for some people in that market. For most of us these venues do provide a nice opportunity to get a look rare cars in perfect condtion. The perception that old muscle cars are rare, expensive and owned by clebs adds a little mystique (and value) for all of us. Personally a driver that I repair myself provides the satisfaction I need in this hobby.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think Reggie culled most of the cars he really wanted gone. Now. They say a fool and his money are easily parted. The Don Johnson Cuda. What a joke. That is a 30 grand car all day long and I do not care whose butt sat in the seat. 132.000.00+ is moronic in my opinion. The vettes did extremely well. I was glad to see that.

Quick Reply: [OT] Why does Reggie Jackson think his cars are worth so much?