C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of front brake hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 03:09 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Removal of front brake hose

Does anyone have any hints ot help in removal of brake hoses? I have them soaking with penetrating oil, and bought flare nut wrenches, but they still don't want to seem to crack loose. I am going to try a heat gun next. I would like to avoid replacing the brake line. The hoses are still pretty decent, but I figured if I was replacing the calipers to do the hoses too, but if I can't get them loose I will stay with the original hoses. :smash: :mad :cuss :smash:
Old 02-13-2003, 03:25 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Removal of front brake hose (gliot1)

If you are talking about the rubber hoses, I would replace them. They are cheap and it may be a good preventative measure.

A trick I have used with the flare nut wrench is to clamp a set of vice grips overtop of the flared end while the wrench is on the nut, then try again. This stops the flare nut wrench from spreading that extra little bit. My steel brake lines were all very tight, and this worked without stripping the nuts.

Hope this helps and good luck.
:chevy
The following users liked this post:
Bobg91 (01-25-2022)
Old 02-13-2003, 03:56 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hoses were stuck on there real well. I ended up stripping them, so I just replaced the front brake lines, and added braided hoses. It is a real easy job. I would replace those rubber hoses, one of mine was worn allmost all the way to the point of breaking.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and get the stainless hose set for all 4 calipers. You'll be glad you did. You won't ever have to worry about your brake lines springing a leak in traffic or on the interstate :eek: How much is that worth???
Old 02-17-2003, 09:21 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The job is done! Before I started, I talked to a friend who is a Chysler mechanic and he agreed that this is a devil. He gave me his "how tos" and they worked exactly like he said. So for all who may be attempting this follow these steps:

1. Heat the fittings with a torch.
2. Heat the fittings until the rubber brake hose lets loose (it will bang, and startle you a bit)
3. Once that hose has let loose you know the fitting got hot enough.
4. Use flare wrenches and crack the brake line fitting.
5. Once the fitting cracks, remove the clip holding the hose stationary.
6. With flare wrenches on both the line fitting and the hose fitting, loosen the connection only turning the hose fitting (minus the hose since it blew loose).
7. Install the new calipers and lines.
8. Bleed brakes.

Following this method I preserved the existing brake lines.

For all you guys who suggested the braided lines; I hear ya, but being a '78 Pace possible going for Gold or NCRS, I wanted to keep orginal rubber lines. The old lasted 26 yrs. so thats not too bad. :smash: :smash: :chevy :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To Removal of front brake hose

Quick Reply: Removal of front brake hose