C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter stuck

Old 03-05-2003, 12:14 AM
djlangford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter stuck

Some bubba either tightend my oil filter on my 454 so tight, or put it on without priming the seal with oil that it is now stuck. I tried removing it with my filter wrench, the circle type, that I had to wrench on it so hard that it started to crush under the pressure.

Any suggestions on how I can get bubba's filter off?

Thanks,
David :smash:
Old 03-05-2003, 12:17 AM
chicken's73sting
Instructor

Default Re: Oil Filter stuck (djlangford)

i'd try to get a plier-type filter wrench, they always seem to work the best, other than that i'd just try to muscle it off by hand, cuz if it tears it's not at all fun taking the rest of the filter off i've done it many times-Good Luck!! :chevy
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

This may sound like a worst case scenario, but drive a large/long screwdriver though the filter about an inch from the end as a last choice. And if you do it make sure you do it at an angle that gives you some leverage to twist it off.

(Edited part)
And worse comes to worse... put a pipe wrench on it and attempt to see if you can break it off. I had one on a '69 that I had to competely tear apart until I finally got it to break loose.

[Modified by bgrice, 5:25 AM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 12:24 AM
djlangford
Instructor

chicken's73sting,

I'd thought of that, but was really afraid of shearing the filter in half, or torquing the thing in half.

I put the wrench as high as I could with no luck.

I'll try muscling it as best I can. I tired it with the engine completley cold (overnight), I'll try it with it slight ly warm, think that'll help?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

chicken's73sting,

I'd thought of that, but was really afraid of shearing the filter in half, or torquing the thing in half.

I put the wrench as high as I could with no luck.

I'll try muscling it as best I can. I tired it with the engine completley cold (overnight), I'll try it with it slight ly warm, think that'll help?
definitely worth a shot :yesnod:
Old 03-05-2003, 06:31 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I've had to use "the screwdriver" several times and always worried about tearing the filter up. I came close a couple of times, but that's always worked.

I've never tried it, but I was just wondering if penetrating fluid would help, YES/NO?
Old 03-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I had the same problem on a big block in a 1970 mine had been sitting for quite a few years (like 10) and I used a huge pair of channel locks and it was tight almost the whole way. I have the black fingernail from where it slipped off. the filter looked like it sat in the freeway when I finally got it off. :smash:

[Modified by Love My 72 and 77, 11:43 AM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Oil Filter stuck (Love My 72 and 77)

YEAH!!!! Finally, someone had the same problem as I. Bubba didn't oil the o-ring on mine either and I tore the complete case to peices.

I had to make up a small tool to remove the filter. It sticks into the oil passages (holes) in the base. I have 2 of these. I made one w/ my new filter as a template, only to realize the old filter had the holes in a different spot :crazy: ... soo, I made another one.

Here it is, works like a champ.

Marck
Old 03-05-2003, 07:02 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Oil Filter stuck (Twin_Turbo)

another trick is to wrap it in sandpaper and then use the filter wrench,it bites better and sometimes helps.if not i use a screwdriver threw it.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:43 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oil Filter stuck (bgrice)

[QUOTE]This may sound like a worst case scenario, but drive a large/long screwdriver though the filter about an inch from the end as a last choice. And if you do it make sure you do it at an angle that gives you some leverage to twist it off.(QUOTE]

:iagree:

I have had to use the screw driver method a few times. Messy but it works.
Gary
Old 03-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Another vote for the large screw driver trick.
I have to do this regularly on my wife Jeep cherokee.
The last time it was on so bad I had to put the screw driver thru it. turn a little then redo anonter whole. (there is not much clearance and the plastic oil sending unit is right there also, frigging chrylser ppl!) I did this 3 times. 6 holes in the filter before the birtch came off. I wouldnt worry to much about tearing the filter. In my experience tough to do. the sand paper trick sounds brilliant. I will try that 1st next time.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:16 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use a chisel to dig into the rolled part of the filter near its end. It will usually grab and allow you to get a couple of degrees of rotation out of it. I have used the large cannel locks before. I swear that it seems like dealerships have a fitting for their impact wrenches to install oil filters.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Oil Filter stuck (dman535)

Oh, I'm so glad I will never have that problem again with my system 1 oil filter. I won't need to take the whole thing off, the lid has a hex on it for a socket. Whenever the case itself has to come off I can easily apply force on the ribbed casing. I'll never go back to ordinary filters.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:38 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have put a scotch-brite pad (Hardware store) around the filter and used the strap type filter wrench with success in the past. As a last resort, pissed off type removal the screwdriver thru the filter has never failed to work for me. :thumbs:
Old 03-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any automotive shop should sell the type of oil filter remover which is attached to a 1/2" ratchet. The one I have is black and looks like a cap. These work great on the vettes
Old 03-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Touringpro
Racer

No filter can stand up to this bad boy!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Filter stuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter stuck