C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds.

I need to remove the exhaust manifolds soon. I am replacing a non-matching numbered manifold, french locks, gaskets, and the heat riser. I am going to paint them with high temp paint. I have several questions:

Is it neccessary or recommended to replace the studs in the manifolds?

Should the exhaust manifold to the block bolts be replaced?

Is a torque wrench neccessary for the job?

Should the gaskets and donut gaskets be replaced?

What else does the experience of the crowd need to tell me?

Thanks from Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds. (Rick Church)

Rick, not necessary to replace the studs. Take a look and see what condition they are in.

Definately replace the gaskets and donuts. They are cheap enough.

Why not use the brush on coating? I have that on mine and it looks great. :cheers:
Old 03-06-2003, 09:47 AM
fishman
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds.

My only added advice is to start soaking the bolts with penetrating oil a few days before removal. They can be a bear to break free.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:49 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds. (Rick Church)

I need to remove the exhaust manifolds soon. I am replacing a non-matching numbered manifold, french locks, gaskets, and the heat riser. I am going to paint them with high temp paint. I have several questions:

Is it neccessary or recommended to replace the studs in the manifolds?
No you don't have to replace the studs but it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean them up by running a die over them. You can get reasonably priced sets of "clean up" tap and dies at most auto stores. These are not for cutting new threads but merely clean up existing ones. You can also run the taps in the bolt holes in the heads to clean them out too and on the exhaust manifold bolts. Use a light oil when you do it

Should the exhaust manifold to the block bolts be replaced?
See above

Is a torque wrench neccessary for the job?
Couldn't hurt but it's not an absolute necessity. Start tightening from the center bolts out.

Should the gaskets and donut gaskets be replaced?
Absolutely

What else does the experience of the crowd need to tell me?
Don't put the french locks on right away. Tighten the manifolds and then run them for about a month. After each week go through the bolts and retighten them because the gaskets will shrink and the bolts will loosen. After a month remove the bolts in pairs and put the french locks on and retighten for a final time.

Get some manifold paint from Eastwood. It's a cast iron color and is brushed on. I used it when I had my stock manifolds and after 2 years it still looked great.

Thanks from Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds. (fishman)

My only added advice is to start soaking the bolts with penetrating oil a few days before removal. They can be a bear to break free.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
I busted one off in the head even though I did this. Vettefixr also has great advise about the threads and studs....Although I would replace the studs no matter what their condition. But...I'm ****!!! :D :D :D
Eddie
Old 03-06-2003, 01:45 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Most of us seem to use exhaust manifold gaskets, but Chevy did not install them when the cars were made. NCRS judging will ding you for a couple of points (not sure how many) for visible gaskets. MJ
Old 03-06-2003, 01:59 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: (MNJack)

Those exhaust bolts and studs take the most abuse. The elevated temps tend
to make the bolts rust faster. Unless they look really solid (basically new),
then I would be inclined to replace them. Definitely the bolts - since there
is no extra work involved - as there is with the studs.

You waited and searched a long time to find the right vette - so don't
start to cut corners. Do the job to the best of your abilities - both mechanically
and finacially.

Good Luck :seeya
Old 03-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Stevo81
Pro

Lay the mating surface on something flat to be sure it is true. Then find an engine that is out out the car and line up the header to see if the bolt holes are right. If not, there is a tool called a "header stretcher". If the holes don't line up, it will be a real beach to get all the bolts started. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds.

Quick Reply: Need tips and lessons learned on removing and reinstalling exhaust manifolds.