C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Steering???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:04 PM
mean8t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loose Steering???

I have a looseness in my steering, you can move the steering wheel about 2in in either direction before you feel any resistance ie the wheels start turning. I can also grab the shaft that goes from the steering wheel to the steering box and turn it the same amount. I think it is the steering box. Any suggestions, I would like to get this problem fixed before I put the motor back in.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (mean8t)

I assume you have looked at the rag joint. It's between the steering wheel column and the steering gear. Two flanges that connect with a couple of bolts. Typically this is what wears out first. It will typically give you the problems you describe.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:12 PM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (Monkeywrench)

Yeah I looked at it, and it looked ok. How do you tell if it is bad? When I turned the steering column the whole thing turns right down into the steering box.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:30 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If you have a problem in the box then it a lot easier to remove with the engine out. These aren't too bad to rebuild and should make a big difference in handling. Do a search because there's been a few recent posts on rebuilding these. Let me know if you have a question,I'd be glad to help. Do check the rag joint and control valve.
Good luck
Gary
Old 03-17-2003, 05:37 PM
greg454
Burning Brakes

I had a lot af play in my steering box also and was able to almost eliminate it by using the adjustment screw on top of the steering box. If you look down at the top of your steering box from the engine compartment (I dont have the fan shroud in my car anymore, it may restrict your view too much??) you will see a big screw with no head, just slotted for a screwdriver, with a lock nut tightened down around it. Loosen the nut up and tighten the screw a small amount untill the slop is about gone then retighten the locking nut. I only had to turn the screw in about 1/2 turn to fix mine. Dont over-do it as the box may then bind. :thumbs:
Old 03-17-2003, 09:26 PM
akvette
Advanced

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (greg454)

Had the same topic myself a week or two ago. The excellent forum members suggested that I adjust the lash nut on top of steering box. I loosened the lock nut and turned the adjustment screw in half turn. Test drove it and adjusted it one more half turn. Test drove it again, and voila! steering slop was gone. I also added some mobil one red grease to the steering box.

Akvette

:flag
Old 03-17-2003, 09:44 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I had a lot af play in my steering box also and was able to almost eliminate it by using the adjustment screw on top of the steering box. If you look down at the top of your steering box from the engine compartment (I dont have the fan shroud in my car anymore, it may restrict your view too much??) you will see a big screw with no head, just slotted for a screwdriver, with a lock nut tightened down around it. Loosen the nut up and tighten the screw a small amount untill the slop is about gone then retighten the locking nut. I only had to turn the screw in about 1/2 turn to fix mine. Dont over-do it as the box may then bind. :thumbs:
:iagree:

I would also get under the car and check tie rods and the steering relay rod. A little wear on each one will multiply at the steering wheel.
John

P.S. You may want to start a post paging Jim Shea - he is the resident steering guru.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:48 AM
mean8t
Racer

I remember someone else telling me the samething (check the lash adjustment) As I remember (this was about 2 yrs ago) I tried to adjust the the screw and it was bottomed out. Just to be on the safe side I will check it again, and I will post again what I find.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the above is good advise but you may need to top up your grease. Before I rebuuilt the steering box that had to be done every few months. :cheers:
Old 03-18-2003, 11:23 AM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (Graemeinvette)

I am going to ask a stupid question. How do you check/add grease to the steering box?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Chances are there is little to none left in there. What ever is there is probably liquified too. The book says to remove two of the three screws on the cover and add to one and watch for it coming out the other. THe problem with this is you really don't know how much isinhtere to begin with and how much new grease is getting in. You also have to leave room for the grease to expand when it gets hot. What concerns me is you said you already bottomed out the lash screw. If this is the case then you might have a worn sector gear or worm nut. They work like a rack and pinion and are tapered. The lash screw "takes up" the backlash or play in between them. the gear should feel tight when the box is centered and looser turning to the right or left. If it's loose from lock to lock you may have a problem. If it were me I'd remove the box and open it up for a look. If you want to send it to me I'll take a look at it for you. You'll need to separate the pitman arm from the control valve use a puller not a pickle fork or there's good chance you'll wreck the rubber boot on the valve.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

With 2 inches in either direction of play and the lash screw bottomed out I'd have to say that it may be time to have the steering box rebuilt. That's what I had to do about 3 years back.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:51 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (SnoDrgn)

I had this also I did all that was previously posted. My rag joint was the first to go after the box adjustment. It was visually obvious for that fix. What did surprise me and eventually solved all my steering losness was the discovery that my power steering valve was so shot that if I grabbed it and moved it thera was about 2" of play in it. This was a 4 year old rebuilt unit. I replaced it and now all is well. I had about
Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 AM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Loose Steering??? (dogboy)

Thanks for all your help. I will probably pull the box out and disassemble it, I problably need to look at the PS valve. I post some pics of what I find and then you guys can chime in again and tell me what you think.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Steering???

Quick Reply: Loose Steering???