C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed on Bubba'd distributor setting.

Old 03-23-2003, 11:12 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Help needed on Bubba'd distributor setting.

When I bought my '81 last fall (mini project) it ran terribly. Bubba had put a high rise, an adapter plate, and the stock carb back on. No computer wires hooked back up to te carb. I am going back to a stock manifold. I bumped the distributor to point at #1 before I pulled it, and all wires were on correctly.
Now here's the rub. Bubba had installed a new timing chain cover and balancer (had wore into cover). When I checked to see where the timing mark was when I pulled the dist., it was on the other side of the balancer! 180 degrees from where it should have been! What in the wide world of sports is going on? The only things I can come up with are these:
1. Bubba installed the balancer backwords. (Is this even possible?
2. Bubba installed the dist. incorrectly, and the computer somewhat compensated for the incorrect setting. (Like I said, it ran badly, but would it run at ALL if it was 180 off?)
3. Instead of worrying about all this, I should just go find Bubba and beat the hell out of him just for some personal satisfation.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:56 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help needed on Bubba'd distributor setting. (MidShark)

1. Bubba installed the balancer backwords. (Is this even possible?
No it is keyed. It is possible the ring has turned on the center but I doubt it would go 180 before it came apart.
2. Bubba installed the dist. incorrectly, and the computer somewhat compensated for the incorrect setting. (Like I said, it ran badly, but would it run at ALL if it was 180 off?)
I believe, and could be wrong , that the only thing the PCM controls in an 81 distributor is the advance. It couldn't compensate for being that far off. Now for the hard part. The cam, which turns the distributor turns at half the speed of the crank so if the balancer was 180 from where it was supposed to be the timing was 90 or 270 out. Don't think it would run at all. You first need to pull the distutor and bring #1 to TDC on the compression stroke and see if the mark lines up. Since the balancer may have slipped, you will need to pull the valve covers and watch # 1 and #6 to determine TDC #1. The finger in the whole won't work. I think it will probably line up.
3. Instead of worrying about all this, I should just go find Bubba and beat the hell out of him just for some personal satisfation.
Think I'd hold off for now. It may not have been the previous owners problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed on Bubba'd distributor setting.