C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 07:07 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in

What are your thoughts good, bad, or indifferent?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (63Banshee)

Dave,

There are a few members running AR engines... maybe they will pipe in. I'm installing one of their 355CI/Dart head engines this weekend, but it will still be a week or two before I can fire it up as I still have to send this thing off to a muffler shop to route the sidepipes to the new headers. I can tell you that I have gotten really good support up to this point as I have probably popped 12-15 e-mails to Mark asking everything I can think of to get everything set up right before I do start it. He's given me everthing from timing advance, initial start-up recommendations, header sizes to maximize HP, distributor information, plug gap, break-in period and help with a stripped bolt hole I found in the waterpump area. Most... if not all... are reconditioned SBC blocks(mine came out of a '72 Z-28 Camaro), so I guess they missed it. Not a real problem as he gave me the depth I could drill in and heli-coil the hole. A great looking engine... I guess we will see what happens from here on out. Like a few others, I do plan on putting this vette on the strip, so obviously I'll be slinging the rods around enough to get a good idea how good of work they do. Everything that I see in the engine it is built to do it though.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:40 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (63Banshee)

What are your thoughts good, bad, or indifferent?
You've probably read about my experience in the other thread... I'm a completely satisfied customer.. with both - quality of their eingine and customer support.. Mark is great!!

Old 03-26-2003, 11:44 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (GrandSportC3)

Another great thing is that the advertised horsepower is not just a bogus number... After dyno testing the car - it dynoed at approx. 365 RWHP.. and the peak HP hasn't even been reached... The engine has never been professionally tuned.. A good dyno tuning usually adds another 15 - 20 HP...
Assuming a 20% drivetrain loss - the power is very close to the number that they've advertised...
Old 03-27-2003, 10:32 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (GrandSportC3)

I too have bought from AR but still haven't received my engine yet. Should be here next week or so. I have been very pleased with their customer support and Mark's willingness to sell me the right engine for my needs and answer my numerous emails and phone calls.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:38 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (tshort)

I too have bought from AR but still haven't received my engine yet. Should be here next week or so.
How long have you been waiting?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:56 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

How long have you been waiting?
Well, it's kind of a long story. When I first ordered back in December they said they were running way behind and that it would take about 3 weeks before they could ship it out. That was cool. 2 1/2 weeks went by and I asked them if they could put on a different intake, and add a flywheel. The engine was actually already built but just waiting on shipping. Mark said no problem and it took him a while to find the intake I was wanting. I then saw a new motor they had advertised on Ebay with the new Edelbrock E-TEC heads and asked about it. It sounded much better and I asked if they could build one of those for me instead. Once again he had no problems with doing that. Well a few weeks later he called me and said they were having quality problems with the heads from Edelbrock and asked if I wanted to wait it out or go with the original engine I had planned. I said wait because this was just before I was going to Africa for work and wouldn't be back for over a month. Well, I just got back and Edelbrock still hasn't gotten the head problem fixed so I asked Mark to just build and send the original engine we talked about.
Mark could have just sent me the E-TEC engine untested like a lot of other places will do and I would have been very dissapointed. I like his honesty and I don't mind waiting if it's for good reasons....and most of them my fault :D
Mine should be shipping out this week.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:16 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought one of their engines too, Mark is great! Before I bought the engine I was sending emails left and right asking questions, he answered them all and I'm not talking taking a couple of days to answer, he did it wth in the hour. I sent him an email this morning because I am having trouble installing the pilot bushing, answered me with in a hour and gave me some ideas! He knows how to sell them, knows how to back his engines up and builds very high quality!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

I called the guys at Maxhorsepower.com right before New Years. They have discontinued the engines you see listed on their webpage.

I bought a 240 HP crate longblock from http://www.rebuiltcarengines.com. Engines are definately a bit milder, but it came with a 3 year/unimited mile warranty, parts and labor. Good 'nuff for my daily driver, I can add HP later!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:00 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Right now Golen is leading the pack. I'm making my mind up by tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:18 PM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Does AR Racing have a website? Could someone please post it if they do? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:26 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (88'Cubka)

http://www.maxhorsepower.com/

However - they don't have the racing engines on their website.. They only advertise their HP engines on Ebay...
Old 03-27-2003, 05:26 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in (88'Cubka)

http://www.maxhorsepower.com

Get notified of new replies

To Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in

Quick Reply: Those of you with experience with AR Racing / maxhorsepower.com please chime in