C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:20 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal???

They're on EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6770

I'm building a 383 and I'm looking for 23 degree - 64cc heads, what do you think???
Old 03-31-2003, 10:28 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal??? (69shark)

Yes, these are good heads and a lot of people use them. The price isn't too spectacular as you can get them at Summit Racing for $969.95.
Here is the link: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=20742
Plus, these only cost $7 to ship through Summit, and you can rest easy knowing customer service will be there if you need it. :yesnod:

It is also important to match the springs to the cam you are running. What type is it, and what are its specs, part number?

:cheers:

[Modified by VETDRMS, 8:31 PM 3/31/2003]

[Modified by VETDRMS, 8:32 PM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Crickett
Racer

They look great to me!!
Old 03-31-2003, 10:34 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal??? (VETDRMS)

Yes, these are good heads and a lot of people use them. The price isn't too spectacular as you can get them at Summit Racing for $969.95.
Here is the link: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=20742

It is also important to match the springs to the cam you are running. What type is it, and what are its specs, part number?
Not sure on the cam just yet, but the price is what I'm most concerned about. I didn't realize I could get a set of alum heads under a $1000.00. I guess I'll look for a coupon and go Summit
:cool: :cool:
Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't purchase a set of heads without knowing or at least having some idea of what cam you are going to run. It could cost you more in the end. Also, you want to match your components as much as possible. If you are going to be using a roller cam or mech. flat tappet you will most likley need a different spring setup on those heads. What power range are you looking for? Intake/Carb/exhaust you plan on running? These are all important when choosing a particular set of heads.
Think of it as solving an equation with more than one unknown variable.. :lol:

There are a lot of people who really know there stuff roaming the forums, I'd be happy to help you out on choosing a good combo for your needs. :chevy
Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you need to buy special rockers, pushrods etc for these heads ?
Old 03-31-2003, 10:51 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal??? (dman535)

Don't you need to buy special rockers, pushrods etc for these heads ?
No, I think your refering to the "G2" Twisted Wedge series of heads. Its important to measure pushrod length needed for any performance application, but the TFS 23 degree heads use stock components.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:26 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal??? (VETDRMS)

I wouldn't purchase a set of heads without knowing or at least having some idea of what cam you are going to run. It could cost you more in the end. Also, you want to match your components as much as possible. If you are going to be using a roller cam or mech. flat tappet you will most likley need a different spring setup on those heads. What power range are you looking for? Intake/Carb/exhaust you plan on running? These are all important when choosing a particular set of heads.
Think of it as solving an equation with more than one unknown variable.. :lol:

There are a lot of people who really know there stuff roaming the forums, I'd be happy to help you out on choosing a good combo for your needs. :chevy
At this point of the build up all I need is the 23 degree and 64cc chamber on aluminium heads, as the shop that is doing the machine work and I will be making these decisions as needed. So far we have 4 bolt block, Eagle 383 stroker kit, Edelbrock performer intake, Dynomax ceramic coated headers. We will be deciding on cam and valve train after I get the heads. I'm also looking at some aluminium head from a company called Proline from Australia , their Lighting model.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:44 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

At this point of the build up all I need is the 23 degree and 64cc chamber on aluminium heads, as the shop that is doing the machine work and I will be making these decisions as needed. So far we have 4 bolt block, Eagle 383 stroker kit, Edelbrock performer intake, Dynomax ceramic coated headers. We will be deciding on cam and valve train after I get the heads. I'm also looking at some aluminium head from a company called Proline from Australia , their Lighting model.
Well, these would make a good head, but considering you don't know which cam/valvetrain you will be using you may want to look into buying a set of bare heads and then when you get the cam figured out you can correctly match everything. This may cost a little more, but it would be a good idea: Dart makes some excellent heads, a good choice would be the Pro 1 200cc which can be had for $800 /pair bare casting with hardened seats installed. Look to spend 200-300 dollars for all your parts (depends on parts used).

Here is the link for a good supplier of Dart heads, best prices I could find and shipping is cheap.
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...d=741&pid=7554

Get notified of new replies

To [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal???

Quick Reply: [SBC ALUM HEADS] Is this a good deal???