C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach & Speedo Cable Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:07 PM
DougsL89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach & Speedo Cable Lube?

I'm getting ready to install new cables. Should they be lubed or installed "as received"? If lube is required, what should I use?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Tach & Speedo Cable Lube? (DougsL89)

I remember hearing some forum members say they used a lightweight engine oil and poured some down the tube around the cable :cheers:
Old 04-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Koz

I've had problems with my speedo since I purchased the car. I used everything from white litheum to all purpose grease on the inner cable as well as force feeding greese into the housing until it squirted out the bottom and then installed the cable. It still bounced. I talked to a guy at Red Line http://www.redlineg.com/ and he said it should be installed dry. Anything else will drip out as the cable gets hot and will stick when cold. As soon as I get my rear back together this is my next job. I plan on installing a new cable and housing and installing it as it comes.. which I'm guessing is dry.. Where did you purchase your cable? What did they say?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:17 PM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

actually i hear graphite works the best, never tried it myself but i know alot of people who have. basically the stuff is just an alcohol with graphite suspended in it, it comes in some kind of syringe you inject into the down into the cable. no idea where you get this though....
Old 04-08-2003, 07:25 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

i would try a motor cycle shop they always have sticky cables
Old 04-08-2003, 07:54 PM
DougsL89
Advanced

Default Re: Tach & Speedo Cable Lube? (Koz)

Koz - I purchased my cables on-line from Paragon. I am going to install them dry and see what happens. I can always pull them and lube them if it is required. I doubt any lube is required on a new cable, as I am sure they would come that way (graphite-coated, dry-film lube, etc.). Thanks!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Tach & Speedo Cable Lube? (RJR99SS)

actually i hear graphite works the best, never tried it myself but i know alot of people who have. basically the stuff is just an alcohol with graphite suspended in it, it comes in some kind of syringe you inject into the down into the cable. no idea where you get this though....
I have also heard that graphite is the only lube you should use on a tach/speedo cable, but I dont know what form it takes. I have only seen graphite in a tube that comes out as a fine powder - that was what we used on the pinewood derby wheels!! :lol: My instruments work fine, but I get a birdlike chirping that seems to be the speedo cable. It would be nice to quiet that down. :) MJ
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

I had a bouncing needle and a chirp. I removed the cable from the transmission end. Brought it up through the engine bay about the same level as the speeometer. You do not want to be higher than the spedometer or else the oil will get into the housing and the face!!!
Then I srayed penetrating oil (spray can application) into the end of the housing. Let it set or a while and lowered to let it drainback out. Dirt and rust pured out. Repaet the steps above for a second application of oil ....Been OK so far.
Good Luck :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Tach & Speedo Cable Lube?

Quick Reply: Tach & Speedo Cable Lube?