C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start after tune-up - what did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 01:52 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No start after tune-up - what did I do?

Friends,

I've changed spark plugs (reconnected the existing wires), breaker points (I think I have the initial point gap set OK, but see this post about uni-points http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=533970), rotor (no cap yet - I'll do that when I change plug wires later), plugged the coil wire back in and tried to fire it up to set dwell and timing.

No fire. I missed something.

Is setting the initial point gap that sensitive? I can't get a feeler guage in there, so I'm just eye-balling it. I'm putting the cam block on the point thingy - the corner to open the point, and the opening appears to be within a reasonable tolerance to the 0.019 initial setting.

I couldn't have screwed up plug wires, because I haven't yet changed them out - simply reconnected after changing plugs. The coil wire to the cap is back in. The rotor went on fine. The breaker points are the uni-points thingy, but as far as I can tell I have it installed correctly.

What did I miss? Help me get Miranda back on the road.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:40 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: No start after tune-up - what did I do? (mayberg)

Try putting your old points back.I helped a friend with his truck after he did a tune up and it did the same thing. Something wrong with the new points.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

It's probably something really simple. Here's an example. I was doing a tune-up on my 74. New cap, rotor, points etc. I had the same problem, the car would not fire. I musta screwed around for 45 minutes trying everything I could think of. I was PO'd. I decided I'd be better off to call it a day and try again tomorrow.
Next day I walk in the garage and the first thing that catches my eye is the new rotor sitting on the roof of the car. I had forgotten to put it in :banghead: :bb
Old 04-09-2003, 03:04 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: No start after tune-up - what did I do? (Stewart's74)

It's probably something really simple. Here's an example. I was doing a tune-up on my 74. New cap, rotor, points etc. I had the same problem, the car would not fire. I musta screwed around for 45 minutes trying everything I could think of. I was PO'd. I decided I'd be better off to call it a day and try again tomorrow.
Next day I walk in the garage and the first thing that catches my eye is the new rotor sitting on the roof of the car. I had forgotten to put it in :banghead: :bb
:iagree:
Yep, put me in that same boat. Like DUY! Double check your point gap, make sure your coil is firing. Double check your wires.
Gary
Old 04-09-2003, 04:31 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Forgetting to replace the rotor has bitten me, too.

Another time the car wouldn't fire no matter what I did. Turns out I neglected to reattach the 12V ignition wire to the HEI that powers the thing.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thats impossible! :lol:
Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM
rollavette71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: No start after tune-up - what did I do? (Ironcross)

Did you remove/replace the capacitor? It will not fire without one that works.
I replaced mine last fall and got a bad one (shorted)... took me a couple hours of diagnostic work to figure it out. If you put a new one in, try putting the old one back in.

Hank :cheers:
Old 04-09-2003, 04:56 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: No start after tune-up - what did I do? (The Dude)

Forgetting to replace the rotor has bitten me, too.
I thought I was the only one!! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

MJ
Old 04-09-2003, 05:39 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: No start after tune-up - what did I do? (MNJack)

Well, thanks for everyone's input. I was able to start it with the old point set and rotor.

I ended up making a run to NAPA to get another point set without the uni-points arrangement. Then, after setting the point gap with a feeler guage (now that I can reach in there) and reinstalling the new parts, everything is working fine. I suspect that even after eye-balling the point gap on the uni-points I still wasn't in the ballpark and thus the trouble starting the car.

So, I set the dwell and I'm waiting on getting an obstruction wrench (can you believe that two Sears in town are out of the 9/16" obstruction wrench) in order to set the timing.

BTW, the distributor wrench you get from Sears doesn't get to the distributor bolt on my 454.

Get notified of new replies

To No start after tune-up - what did I do?

Quick Reply: No start after tune-up - what did I do?