C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:14 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers

Last week I got rid of the defective carb that I've been putting up with since getting the engine broken in. That was an electric choke Edlebrock and I like that style choke.

The car certainly runs 100 percent better with the carb that's on there now. This latest one is an Eldebrock Q-Jet 1903 with the OEM style hot air choke. I used the correct heat stove inside the intake manifold. Both tubes are installed from the manifold choke stove to the carb. The choke works :cool:

The only Q that I have now is why is the choke staying on so long? The choke is at least partially closed right up til the temp gauge is pert near at 180*

I'm looking for comparisons to others (I know that at least a couple of folks out there have 1903's) How long is your choke on, while using an aluminum intake? :confused:
Old 04-17-2003, 12:04 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers (SanDiegoPaul)

Paul,

I have that exact same carb (1903) and my choke does not turn off by itself. It will only turn off when I tap the gas pedal. I'm not sure if its supposed to turn off or not though, I always assumed mine was fine.

Also, I read somewhere that we can get an electric choke conversion for this carb. There was a post about it here and there was a link to where you can buy one, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

[Modified by 77Dream, 9:09 AM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers (77Dream)

If it's anything like my stock QJ (but '77 vintage, with elec. choke), you should be able to turn the plastic choke housing toward "lean" ( just loosen the three screws on the housing). Trial and error will allow you to "play" with the setting to get something that works for you. I adjust mine differently for fall/spring (turn towards rich to have choke stay on longer, as I have no heat riser) so car doesn't stumble when cold, and more "lean" for summer when on choke time can be less. Not sure if this is same setup as your carb but hopefully it is!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Here is the post. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=480054
Old 04-17-2003, 12:24 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers (68shark)

to turn the plastic choke housing toward "lean" (

Nahhh, it's riveted. Thanks though. As for the other post and the link to the thread with conversion info - that's for Rochester carbs...I'll contact Edlebrock and see what they say.

'77 Dream: you say yours doesn't shut off 'til you tap the pedal? Thats the way it's supposed to work. No problem there. My question was however how long before it will do so? Mine needs be fully warmed up before the choke will fully release.

The choke is in steps: IE when engine is cold the choke is on the highest step and opens the throttle the most. As it warms up it will step down one at a time until finally at it's wide-open position, the choke lets the engine idle normally.

[Modified by SanDiegoPaul, 9:29 AM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 12:46 PM
77Dream
Drifting

'77 Dream: you say yours doesn't shut off 'til you tap the pedal? Thats the way it's supposed to work. No problem there. My question was however how long before it will do so? Mine needs be fully warmed up before the choke will fully release.
Oh, I see. I thought you were wanting it to turn off on its own. Mine will allow me to tap it off after about 30 secs (I just tested). Thats pretty cold still but I usually let the car warm up for a little while before I do. Again... I'm not sure if this is how its supposed to work but it doesnt seem to be a problem for me.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:18 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine will allow me to tap it off after about 30 secs (I just tested).
-------

Tha't's more like it! Great day for checking a choke too! Darn it's cold outside!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Yup, it's 69 degrees at my house...buurrrrr( :lol: ). We are supposed to see some showers too.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:24 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I contacted Edlebrock Tech support and got some possibilities: One, the choke-pulloff needs to be adjusted so that when cold, engine off, the choke is not closed all the way. I think mine is tighter than that.

Second, the TVS that controls the EFE valve on the headers is now in the intake manifold. On the OEM manifold and engine it was mounted in the thermostat housing. Therefore it was on the OTHER side of the thermostat from where it is currently. And I know for fact that the EFE is opening within a minute or two of the engine being started. So I may need to find a thermostat housing with a hole in it like the OEM one (it was bad that's why I got a new chrome one) to correctly mount that Themal Vacuum Switch (TVS)

Wish me luck. I'm gonna go out there and brave the cold :jester so I can check out the choke-pulloff settings. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers

Quick Reply: Hot air choke VS. Aluminum intake and headers