C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't poopie into park? - cable bends

Old 04-19-2003, 11:55 AM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't shift into park? - cable bends

I can manually put the car into park, but when you do it from the shifter the cable bends (inside what's left of the rubber boot) before it goes all the way into park.

I also have the key safter interlock thingy attached. The AIM shows that there should be a bracket holding it in place, but i can't find mine. And i haven't located one in the catalogs (yet).

So my questions are:

1. Why is the cable bending. Is this because of a bad cable or a bad adjustment?
2. Does the key interlock cable (what ever it is really called) need a bracket? And could that be affecting my shifting woes?
3. What's the best solution here?

I 'bubbafied' the shifter cable with a zip time, just so i could get the car moved up and down the drive way. But this is, of course, temporary. In order to get the key out (see a previous post of mine) i have to coat hanger the interlock cable at the steering column. Pretty embarrasing. :banghead:

Thanks,
-thomas

[Modified by tzavaleta, 10:56 AM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 01:23 PM
arrio76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Won't shift into park? - cable bends (tzavaleta)

I had a similar problem with my 76 when I bought it last year. I thought it was odd that I couldn't get the key to go all the way to the lock position. The shifter went into park but would not allow the key to rotate any further than "off". Luckily, the key would come out.
The problem I found, was that the interlock cable was binding and the cable would bend at the interlock cable bracket on the trans pan. (front left corner)The interlock cable sheath attaches to the pan with a bracket using the pan bolts to secure it.
I carefull massaged the bent cable straight useing pliers, and with a hammer, I straightened/repositioned the bracket to allow the cable a straighter entry into the sheath. Now it works great.
The interlock and the shifter cables both attach to the trans detent lever. If the interlock cable doesn't move in and out of it's sheath smoothly the interlock cable will bend and jam up the shifter just about at the park/reverse position. The shift cable will either not go any futher or bend somewhere.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Won't shift into park? - cable bends (tzavaleta)

Thomas,
I just sent you two AIM sheets that show the shifter to trans and trans to steering column cable attachments. There are two brackets, one for the M38 and the other for the M40 transmissions. I assume that one is the Turbohyramatic 350 and the other is for the TH400.

Hope they help.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Won't poopie into park? - cable bends

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't poopie into park? - cable bends