C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need Help With Radio Installation

I purchased a new radio for my '70 vert from Custom Autosound (model USA-1). When I bought my car it didn't have a radio, but all the wiring, connectors, and speakers were still installed. The installation manual that comes with the Custom Autosound radio is not very good. And, the connectors that come with new radio do not match the original connectors in the car.

Anyway, there are 2 stock connectors in the car. The first connector has gray (dimmer), black (ground) and yellow (receiver) wires. The second connector has yellow (?), blue (?), and green (?) wires.

Is the yellow (receiver) wire in the first connector a "hot" connector? That is, could I connect the main power wire (B+) from the new radio to this wire for power?

Does anyone know what the 3 wires (yellow/blue/green) in the second connector are for?

Do I necessarily have to have a one-to-one/wire-to-wire hookup from the stock connectors to the new radio? This doesn't seem possible as the new radio doesn't have as many wires as the car is equipped for.

THANKS!!!

:flag
Old 04-20-2003, 02:35 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Need Help With Radio Installation (Motor City Vette)

Just guessing from memory
Blue = antenna
Green = ground (neg)
Yellow = power

If I I can find it, I will post the pic for you.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:01 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Re: Need Help With Radio Installation (Motor City Vette)

First off, forget about the second connector (yellow, blue, green). That is the connector to the amplifier which then leads to the stock speakers for the original radio. I am assuming that you are not going to use your stock speakers with your new radio.(I wouldn't recommend it). You could try hooking up your power lead to the orig. connector, however, when I tried this on my "66 (I just installed a Custom Autosound radio in it 2 weeks ago) it blew the fuse, which is only a 3 amp. I ended up running the red hot wire (you'd have to add on to it) over to the fuse block, and decided to plug it into an always hot plug. That way, I can turn the radio on without having the key in. You could do that or just into an ignition source, it's just personal preference. Then I plugged in the memory lead wire from the radio(orange? or was it yellow?) into the original power connector- to the wire that's always hot-check it with a test light. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With Radio Installation

Quick Reply: Need Help With Radio Installation