C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s

Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s

I have oil in my antifreeze due to subzero conditions and not enough antifreeze in the system , last winter. The freeze plugs did not blow out, and i was hoping i was going to be okay.

Has anyone fixed thier Block crack with an additive ??? Which one ?

Thanks, RR
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s (Rumpity Rump)

There is a product called A-B putty. You kneed identical amounts from A and B and when cured is hard as a rock...you can machine it, drill and tap the stuff. Unbelievable stuff, but, I don't think this will work for you. I bet your cylinder wall or walls are cracked. For this stuff to work, it has to be completely in the crack, and how are you going to get the block to expand to get the putty in the cracks? Not to mention the areas of the cracks have to be free of oil. Best bet is to repair/weld/resleeve if your block is original to the car, if not, 350 bare blocks are a dime a dozen.

Good Luck
Old 04-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s (GDaina)

Its a 454 . And its the original block. In the event i go with a new BLock...what do u think of World ??

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:15 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If original, I'd do a rough hone and see how many cylinders are cracked. I'd think the cost would be around 100 per cyl for resleeve. That block adds value to your ride, being original to the car.

World has good blocks, but for the price of a new block, you can get all 8 cyl resleeved.

It would be a no brainer if your block was not original....World would be the way to go, but that's not the case. Somewhere down the road you will want to sell the vette, and will be easier and will get you more cash with original motor. Why? Blame it on the investors and speculators. Yea, it's dumb thinking, but that's the playing field, number fixation.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First see if you can determine if the crack is in a cylinder wall or not. Pressurise the cooling system and see if any water enters a cylinder with the spark plugs out. If it is not in a cylinder then there is a good chance it is in the water jacket just above the oil pan rail. That would allow water to get into the oil but not into a cylinder. If this is the case than a product call Hard Block can be used. It is used by drag racers to streghten the bottom of the block / main web area. If it is along the pan rail than 1" - 2" of hard block in the water jackets will seal the crack and streghten the block at the same time.

If it is a cylinder wall then a sleeve is the way to go.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:39 AM
radwebster
Pro

Default Re: Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s (Pete79L82)

:lol: :lol: finally, someone else on the forum has done it too!!
on the first night i brought my '79 home, it froze during the night (and of course the guy before me didn't have antifreeze in it :rolleyes: ). i was left with a four inch crack on each side on my block.

i decided to try JB Weld. i used about 3 packages of the stuff on the block (first clean up the area and rough it up a bit). then i bought 2 containers of auto Liquid Glass copper block sealer. you fill up the cooling system with plain water after you let the JB weld set for 2 or 3 days, and you add this Liquid Glass to the water and run it for about 20 minutes.then shut it down and drain the system. let it sit another night or 2.

well, i've been driving my vette for the last almost 3 months, and not one leak has come back. works pretty well until i can get a new motor...hopefully a 427 :cheers:

oh yea, i leave the radiator cap loose too, so there is no pressure build up in the cooling system. i don't know if that pressure would push the JB weld off or not, but i don't wanna find out either. i just gotta add some water (and antifreeze when applicable--i'll never forget to check that stuff again :D )
every other day. yea it's a bit of a pain, but i'll gladly do that to be able to continue to drive my C3. :flag
one more thing...i've found that on 90+ degree days, it boils out very quickly if you don't have the pressure cap all the way tightened. just remember that if you attempt this :steering:
Old 04-23-2003, 03:42 AM
radwebster
Pro

Default Re: Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s (radwebster)

ok, apparently i didn't read all of the first post...i didn't see that he has oil in the antifreeze.....oh well, that's what happens when i'm the forum at 3:30 AM :lol:
Old 04-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Liquid Glass, that what a guy who restores antique tractors uses, I tried it and it worked on a V6 engine.

It can be purchased at drug stores, I had to shop around to find it.

Get notified of new replies

To Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do any of the Engine Block liquid sealers work ???s