C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering...Rebuild or new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
trainor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering...Rebuild or new?

My steering system is leaking around the control valve and cylinder. I know you guys have had the same problem. So I'm wondering whats the best bang for the buck? New? Rebuilt? Rebuild myself? Running out of money but can't handle the only thing leaking on this 75. Tell me what you think and the best place to purchase. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

First, clean everything off and determine exactly where the leaks are coming from. Most likely the hoses (which must be replaced if they have some years on them), but also might be the apply cylinder, pump and/or control valve. If the pump is NOT leaking, leave it alone till it does. It's a pain to get out and you can always do it later when needed. If the control valve is leaking (or not functioning properly), buy a rebuild kit for it. It is not difficult to rebuild...mostly cleanup and repaint work. Rebuild is relatively simple and very inexpensive. If the cylinder is leaking from the piston end, also buy a rebuild kit for it. Again very inexpensive and simple. There is nothing to rebuild internally...just the end packing/seal to do--unless the ball stud is worn and sloppy. Then you need to buy the 'super' rebuild kit, which includes the ballstud and seal. That's about it.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Like was stated, clean it up really good and dry. Then determine where the leak is from. If it's the Power steering control valve- it's a simple rebuild job. There are 2 different kits you can buy ( NAPA, AutoZone, O'reilly's) to rebuild this control valve- one is 5 seals/o-rings ~ $20.... the other has that plus a new ball stud, stud caps and bushing ~ $60..... If I can do it, anybody can. trust me.
Heres a link. study it, print it, use it. easy as pie :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-you-pscv.html

as for the CYLINDER- I have never done one of those, but the shop manual should have some info.
Good luck.. take some pics to share with us...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save money and Change the hoses, rebuild the control valve yourself (easy the second time) clean it up. Like mike, I have never done the cylinder.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering...Rebuild or new?

Quick Reply: Steering...Rebuild or new?