C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you balance tires on the car....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you balance tires on the car....

when I thought it was bad to rotate the tires with the rear end of the ground? Something about the half shaft angle causing binding. Seems if that was true having your tires high speed balanced on the car would be horrible for the drive train. Do you have a set balanced up front then rotate them to the back and have the other two balanced?
:confused:

[Modified by Fevre, 5:15 PM 5/10/2003]
Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: How do you balance tires on the car.... (Fevre)

i did the fronts on a 76 c3 years ago. it was worth it.
forget the rear except,
jack it up at the control arm to keep it at ride height with both wheels off , with lug nuts on.
Then verry slowly accelerate to check for any vibration. If it is OK, balanced tires should be OK.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How do you balance tires on the car.... (Fevre)

The shop here puts jack stands under the shock mount so the half shafts are level. They also take one wheel off and balance the one on the car (you rev the engine in gear). Then they take the balanced tire off, mark the stud location, put the other tire back on the opposit side and balance it (you rev the engine again). Then they put the first tire back on and fine tune it if needed with both tires spinning. Caution ... It's expensive and you will never be happy with a computer balance again

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:31 PM 5/10/2003]
Old 05-10-2003, 10:42 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you balance tires on the car.... (bluevetteman)

... I'm lost... A wheel rim is never the same just like a thumb print. Why would you balance one and do the other as a shot in the dark? Take em both to the dealership and get the balanced the correct way... A computer spins em up! If you guys have never seen it... try and get the guy to take you back there to watch. Its pretty cool!

ZD
Old 05-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: How do you balance tires on the car.... (bluevetteman)

sounds good :cheers:
Old 05-11-2003, 06:07 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How do you balance tires on the car.... (ZD75blue)

OK. follow me here. Balancing just the tire and wheel off of the car ONLY balances the tire and wheel, not the entire rotating mass, i.e. brake rotor,. Spinning on the car does. Take one wheel off Because the opposite wheel spins too and you only balance one at a time.. Spin balance the one on the car as above, Mark it so it will go back on in the same location on the hub. remove that wheel so you can balance the other wheel, (after you put it back on of course). Want to see how BAD a computer balancer really is? Have a tire and wheel balanced, take it back later without even driving on it and have it balanced again... It will come back with a different amount of weight in a different spot. Almost every time. BTW computer balances at 55. I have never had a good computer balance. EVER.. If you haven't tried an "on car "balance you don't know how much better it is. On car balancing is
dependant on a person who knows how to do it but a computer balance... well... any monkey can do it quick and cheap and get the customer out the door. Lots of people don't know the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you balance tires on the car....

Quick Reply: How do you balance tires on the car....