C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:11 PM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes)

For example, 82 and it's crossfire injection would garner a little different fuel system upgrade/improvements versus a 81's Rochester QJ, versus a BB's setup.

IE:

1981 - Dual Exhaust, New Intake(Performer), hotter cam(Comp Cams), ignition(MSD), carb upgrade(Edlebrock/Holley[possible computer elimination])
1980 - Same as 81, except no need to worry about the CCC.
1979 - Same as 80

You get the idea... Specific years have quirks about them that would do well to be upgraded first or in a specific order for bang for buck. I just think it would be a neat reference.

-Ben
Old 05-12-2003, 05:06 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes) (tersian)

Here's a short list of endless "Bang-for-the-Buck" performance improvements. You can decide which items apply to your model.

-Optimize ignition timing if not already done. The improved feel can be impressive for very little $$$.
-If equipped with an automatic, improve the shift program using one of the MANY shift kits available. This makes the car feel quicker.
-Optimize carburetion either by tweaking/rebuilding the one you have or buy a new one.
-installing dual exhaust and or headers.
-If needed, a numerically higher gear ratio can make the car feel stronger. This can be fairly inexpensive if you replace the gears yourself. Check out the gear calculators at http://www.smokemup.com
-The very cheapest thing to do is basically optimize the cars performance by dialing it in using all of it's existing parts.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:52 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Swapping out torque converters can add some welcome feel and lower ET's.

Moving to headers, coupled with a cam, will really wake up a mid seventies Vette...

Old 05-12-2003, 06:38 PM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes) (joeveto)

Thanks guys, maybe I was too vague.. I was wondering if anyone had a list of things that were really bad for each year that would cause someone to change the list of what they upgraded first. For example, the 81 was the first to provide tubular steel and less restrictive manifolds as well as the TH350 that had lockup in 2nd and in 3rd. Plus 81 was the first year for the monoleaf rear suspension. So, if you had these items(assuming they were in working order, you could overlook them for now, and go to other items.) Now, if you had a 76, you would be missing all the new fangled things that were re-done/fixed from 75-82 and your focus could be put in different areas than someone with a 1982 would need to focus.

I was just wondering if there was anyone with a short list of changes(performance-wise) that occurred through the C3 run, and with that list, what someone with a 19XX would be wisest to concentrate on.

I guess I didn't realize what an enormous amount of data would be required to make such a document when I first asked.

-B
Old 05-12-2003, 06:56 PM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

A Good Cam and a Good working matched carb, 50 to 100 HP increase. All for under $400.00. Everthing else is perty shine things that add very little value. Unless you go with a proven creat engine built by a pro.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I did any engine mods and my engine was still 100% stock L48 and I still had the th400 and 3.08 gears, I did a swap to a 2500 stall convertor and shaved 4 tenths off the ET with convertor swap alone. $200 convertor = 4 tenths . Thats $50 per tenth. I wish every tenth was that cheap.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:21 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes) (Jvette73)

$200 convertor = 4 tenths . Thats $50 per tenth. I wish every tenth was that cheap.
Don't we all. It doesn't get easier either. The faster you go the harder it becomes to go faster.

To date probably my biggest bang for the buck was the timing advance analyzer that I purchased. $65 Timing Light = 3 tenths and added 1.81MPH :D
Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes) (bence13_33)

best bang for the buck is to not get involved with cars :eek:
Old 05-12-2003, 11:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Best bang for the buck is usually a sweet young doe! :lol: MJ
Old 05-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Yellow79
Instructor

Default Re: (MNJack)

:withstupid:

Get notified of new replies

To Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes)

Quick Reply: Most bang for the buck mods(hp/tq) by year(major changes)