C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart Iron Eagle head questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 PM
ldyoung
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dart Iron Eagle head questions

I've just ordered a set of Dart Iron Eagle 180cc heads with straight plugs and am wondering if anyone can reccomend a good set of headers. Also I'd like to reuse my origin '79 L82 valve covers but don't know if they'll fit my new head. Can anyone provide either Summit, Jeg's or Scoggin-Dickey part numbers that are recommended for both the headers and valve covers. I guess I could just wait until I get my order, but you folk on this forum have been very helpful in the past and I really appreciate and value your opinions. :cheers:

[Modified by ldyoung, 11:04 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 11:08 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Dart Iron Eagle head questions (ldyoung)

In my opinion, as long as your cam lift isn't too radical (not much over .470 total lift), the stock L82 covers should clear fine. The Dart Iron eagles valve cover edge is higher than the stock heads; reducing leak potential and probably adding clearance for higher lift cams (.480 or so). My Iron Eagles came from Indy Cylinder head and the heads allow up to .520 lift before spring bind.

I run the 180cc Dart Iron eagles with a Crane Energizer 272H, .454/.454 (total) valve lift with stock height stamped steel chrome valve covers.

[Modified by TedH, 11:18 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 11:10 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

How's the weather up around Kenton, OH (near Alger as I recall)? I grew up 10 miles north of Kenton in small town of Forest.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:14 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Your valve covers should fit fine. I'm running Dart 215's with roller rockers and the stock valve covers and a thick rubber/aluminum gasket. For headers Walker Dynomax will work.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:35 PM
ldyoung
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dart Iron Eagle head questions (TedH)

Thanks for your post. The weather in Alger has not been very good Vette weather...kinda wet and windy. Glad to hear from you. I know exactly where Forest is. I've only been in the area since Jan 98 but the people here are about as friendly as you'll find anywhere. Ever hear of Kash Allen's Bar & Grill?

Maybe the weather will clear up this weekend and get to do some crusin' and wavin'. I'm building a 355 but am using a different block than my original. My original runs just fine and I'm keeping it as-is. So I'm not going to get into a big hurry on swapping it out and will be able to enjoy my car while building the new motor which should be about 350-370HP and I'll enjoy the extra horses for just messing around. :cheers:

[Modified by ldyoung, 8:36 PM 5/14/2003]
Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 AM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the same heads with the factory valve covers and Comp Magnum rockers on my 81 and they fit fine. The cam is Comp 268H.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Nah. Haven't heard of that place. Probably before my time (1969-1982). I attended Riverdale Schools and left in '82 to attend college in Columbus. After, occasional visits over holidays.

I'll be cruisin around Forest, OH this July-August as I work out of my home here in Tampa and have decided to use a spare room at parent's to catch up with my four brothers and parents for a change. I'll be toolin' around and wavin' in my pewter 2001.

Good luck with the Darts and let us know about the performance results.

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Dart Iron Eagle head questions

Quick Reply: Dart Iron Eagle head questions