C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Cauley Chev. Detroit/Anyone take their C3 in for repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Jack Cauley Chev. Detroit/Anyone take their C3 in for repairs?

Guys, I'm running out of options to get my AC fixed once and for all. I have a 1982 Collector's Edition that is my baby. It is a garage queen and I admit it. (Geez, I sound like an alcoholic) I am VERY finicky about who works on my car. I don't want Bubba the mechanic leaning over my fender and scratching my car with his Peterbuilt belt buckle if you know what I mean.
I have had this car in twice to a shop that a member from the Michigan Corvette Club recommended, but they were unable to diagnose where the leak is coming from.

The AC worked fine at the begining of the season when I had it charged at the shop, but this spring, I have no AC. There is a slow leak somewhere. I had dye inserted but nothing could be seen. I also paid for other misc crap that didn't fix the problem. So this leak is in an inconspicuous place. Mechanically, everything is fine with the AC system, it just doesn't hold a charge.

Now, I read on this forum that Jack Cauley is a recommended dealership to take your Vette to. However, I have a Vette that is 21 years old. Has anyone taken their C3 to them to work on? If so, what was the experience like? Needless to say, I'm very nervous about turning my car over to a mechanic who was 5 years old when this car was made, if you get my drift.

The one single time I did take it into a dealership, I took it to Les Stanford to have a new battery put in and they put a gash over the wheel well on my brand new painted CE. That did not sit well with me.

I also want to add that I called up Jack Cauley and talked to the Service Manager Ted, who was extremely condescending, short and just plain rude. I rather aggressively pointed this fact out to him during the course of our conversation and at that point, he backed off. I wanted to call in advance to give them the heads up on what was done, that I am VERY particular on who works on this car, and that I wanted to talk to the mechanic before they begin any work. This way, they know up front what has already been done and did not fix the AC problem. For some reason, this logic didn't sit well with Ted until I pointed out the fact that he was being flat out rude and impatient.

So, that's my story and if anyone can give me direction on what I should do, or whether I should not bring in a car this old to Cauley's, please let me know. I want to get this fixed right so I dont' have to go through the stress of bringing my car into any dealership, period!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Jack Cauley Chev. Detroit/Anyone take their C3 in for repairs?