C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Carb ?'s - Electric Choke, Accel Pump Discharge

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 10:54 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Holley Electric Choke - How do I hook it up??

Got a Holley carb with an electric choke. Need to figure out how to hook this puppy up, or I need to swap for a manual choke.

I see 2 wires and a tube coming out. What goes where???

Question #2
Pump Discharge
Should I be using the discharge nozzles with the tube

Or those without the tube

ALSO....
Question on the discharge check ball & stuff.
in this pic,
116 is the screw (no prob)
117 is the gasket (no prob)
118 is the nozzle (see above)
119 is the needle valve
120 is the ball weight
121 is the check ball

What gives here? A check ball AND a needle valve? Should it be one or the other? I have a check ball in my carb, but no ball-weight and no needle valve. :confused:

Thanks!

[Modified by ddecart, 1:01 AM 5/17/2003]
Old 05-16-2003, 11:12 PM
WATTAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Holley Electric Choke - How do I hook it up?? (ddecart)

Hope the two wires are one red and one black? The red goes to a 12 volt accessories source. A good one is the extra blade connector at the fuse block under the dash. Whereever you connect it, it should only get power when the ignition is on. The black ties to any convenient ground.

I'm assuming the tube is vacuum. Mine was already tied to a part of the carb when I bought it. Is this a new unit, or used? Any instructions? I'd start by making sure it was the vacuum hold off (it's suppose to open the choke blade after the engine starts) and then tie it to a full manifold vacuum source. Make sure it doesn't leak. It should be sealed and move the choke blade when all is adjusted correctly.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Andy
Old 05-16-2003, 11:51 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Default Re: Holley Electric Choke - How do I hook it up?? (WATTAC)

This is used. No instructions (that's what the forum is for :) )

Where on your carb is the vacuum tube connected to?

I'm trying to figure out how this choke works. I see a vacuum port on the backside that connects to the carb. +/- wires, no problem there. How does this thing know if the engine is warm or not? I was thinking that tube was for some sort of heat riser, but I'm clueless.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What model carb? 4150 series double pumpers use an external line to the lower front vacuum port for the choke take-off. On 4160 series carbs, the choke take-off has an internal vacuum source and there is no external line. On those carbs, nothing needs to be done with the tube. I'm not sure about vacuum secondary 4150's like the Avenger series or the vacuum secondary 4150's that were used on oem applications though.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:04 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Good timing as I need to do this too ddecart. :thumbs: From reading material on Q-jet found that best way (made most sense at least) is to power from wiper motor wire (yellow? on '74) but thru a relay energized by oil press dummy light switch sensor . When oil press low oil press switch shuts/makes ground which inturn lights dummy light. Now trick is to wire relay to energize electric choke when oil press high/press switch open and dummy light off (normaly closed contacts on relay). Why? Because wiper motor wire is energized by ignition switch and relay opens this power supply until oil pressure high enough for oil press sensor switch to open. Recommend you verify all this with a multi-meter (resistancevoltage check). Once oil press high enough relay powers/heats electric choke. This ensures choke heating only when engine running with high oil press - can leave ignition on accesories and listen to whatever without heating the choke.
Stay away from the coil wires as your asking for ignition problems. The choke element sucks soo much power it will affect most accesories.
Don't know what size/rating of relay needed and Holley website says nothing of this. Best guess would be to use wiper motor fuse rating as a minimum. :banghead:
Old 05-17-2003, 12:09 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Default Re: Holley Electric Choke - How do I hook it up?? (Vetterodder)

4160 Carb
Here's a pic of the tube. It's the tube that comes out just behind the choke, right in line with the electrical connectors.

Old 05-17-2003, 06:52 AM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tube on my Avenger next to the choke is meant to be left open and unblocked. If I remember correctly it's like a fresh air vent for the choke.

From a power standpoint for the Choke, make sure you get a full 12 volts suppling the choke that can maintain the load. Since I had previously removed the stock electric fan on my 79' I tied the choke into the power source for the fan. Bad choice, that lead would not hold the load, choke never worked right. After calling Holley we determined the problem, I rerouted my to the fuse block and now it works great.

-Good Luck
Old 05-17-2003, 10:41 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Default Re: Holley Electric Choke - How do I hook it up?? (DavidOrr)

Open & Unblocked? THAT I can do!

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Carb ?'s - Electric Choke, Accel Pump Discharge

Quick Reply: Holley Carb ?'s - Electric Choke, Accel Pump Discharge