C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Packard Walsh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter wiring harness

hello everyone. i have purchased the starter wiring harness from ecklers for my L48. The car is a 1980. The car has been apart for some time and the old wiring to the starter was trashed. I did not label where the wires went on the starter and need to know if any of you fellas know where they go. there is a red wire, black wire, and purple wire. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 05-24-2003, 09:40 AM
SlixVett
Instructor

Default Re: starter wiring harness (Packard Walsh)

My '73 L-48 is wired like this:

The small gauge red wire goes to the "B" (battery) terminal on the starter solenoid. This wire comes from the horn relay located in the LH inner fender well. On some replacement solenoids, the "B" looks more like an "8".

The black wire on mine is a heavy gauge (battery cable size) wire from the battery - provides +12V directly to the starter motor. I also have a small gauge yellow wire that connects to the "R" (resistor) terminal on the starter solenoid. This wire goes to the coil and provides a full +12V to the coil for starting.

The small gauge purple wire goes to the "S" (start) terminal on the solenoid. This wire comes from the ignition switch and is used to energize the solenoid when starting the car.

Your '80 with HEI may differ. I can email you a wiring diagram if you need it.

Slick

Old 05-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Packard Walsh
Intermediate

Default Re: starter wiring harness (SlixVett)

Slick- thanks for all the info. i will attempt to install the harness and hopefully I will get power from the battery to the car. if its no trouble Id like to see the wiring diagram if possible. If not thanks for the help!

Dave
theultimatesin6@aol.com
Old 05-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: starter wiring harness (Packard Walsh)

I have the heater/AC coils out of my dash and can take a picture of the starter wiring on my 81 for you if it will help.

YBNormal...drive a vette :cheers:
Old 05-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Packard Walsh
Intermediate

Default Re: starter wiring harness (Ybnormal)

Problem solved! I attached the harness to their proper connections of the solenoid and bam! I now have power. All thats left now is to hook up the carb, finish the brakes and a four wheel alignment! Thanks for the help guys!

Get notified of new replies

To starter wiring harness

Quick Reply: starter wiring harness