C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:16 PM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default what in the world?

If its not one thing its another. my newest problem on my 76 is really weird. I noticed my power steering hoses were leaking, so I went to check the fluid level, but.... I cannot get the lid off. Its not stuck, but I cannot lift it up far enough to pull it out. The lower alternator bracket is less than 1 inch away- directly above the lid of the PS resevoir. did someone install a replacement (incorrect) bracket- or maybe the wrong resevoir- both the resevoir and bracket look as old and nasty as everything else under the hood, so I cant just assume they were replaced. Any thoughts? :confused: :confused: :confused:

[Modified by bhblue80, 10:22 PM 5/28/2003]
Old 05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: what in the world? (bhblue80)

It's in a very tight position on my '76 as well, but you can actually angle it out. It just takes some creative twisting and turning.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn engineers, probably the same guy who decided where to put the fuse block. :rolleyes:
Old 05-28-2003, 05:34 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: what in the world? (wcsinx)

It's in a very tight position on my '76 as well, but you can actually angle it out. It just takes some creative twisting and turning.
:iagree: My 77 is the same.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:35 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

EHEH.. I had the same problem. I found that if you un screw it, then push it forward as far as you can, so that the lip of the lid is hanging over the side, then tilt it sideways then up and out. If not then remove adjusting bolt on the alt, then the belt, then the lower alt bolt, then the bracket, then pull the dip stick out, then check it, then put it back in, then put the bracket on then the alt, then the bolts in, then the belt, then re adjust the alt. :).. sorry I had to stretch it out as long as possible. Or another solution, see how lose the belt is. If it can use some tightening, then take a pry bar down there and pull it towards the fenderwell as much as possible, then tighen it up. this should rotate it enough so that you can access the dip stick from the side some.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:53 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what in the world? (Fevre)

The fuse block placement is a real tribute to GM engineering ! Oh my aching back ,,,,,,,,,,

gman
Old 05-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: what in the world? (ram82fire)

And they had the fuse block there since '63... and they never changed it.

Get notified of new replies

To what in the world?

Quick Reply: what in the world?