C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JB Weld instead of tack weld?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JB Weld instead of tack weld?

Installing an adj pivot stud and others have said to tack weld because the nut comes loose so I was thinking of using JB Weld since I do not have a welder. Hav read that JB Weld is holds good but have never used it. Think it would do the job if I put it on the threads of the stud?

Thanks

BTW I think I might be able to fire it up tomorrow since I have got so much done today. :cheers:
Old 06-07-2003, 07:12 PM
needforspeed2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JB Weld instead of tack weld? (Fevre)

Stuffs excellent man ! My Dad has always been in the oilfield and Halliburton used this stuff on casing connections to cement the threads together prior to going into a 5000' hole under torque and heat. Called it "Halliburton Weld "back then. :D
Old 06-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: JB Weld instead of tack weld? (needforspeed2)

:thumbs: Thought it would work but as always I checked with the forum to make sure. I'll probably check with the forum before getting married! :jester
Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Fevre:
I can recall pulling my transmission back a BUNCH of times before I finally wised up. The nut that secures the pivot ball works itself loose with time. Not to mention I had to cut one of my 5/8" open ended wrenches in half so that I could tighten the nut down (I believe it's a 5/8"). I didn't weld mine into place. I took a bunch of Loc-Tite on the stud and screwed it in. Has been working great without loosening up ever since. I would imagine JB Weld would work just as good.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:00 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I've seen that stuff actually drilled and tapped once it hardens.
The front of the head on a Volvo 164 has a stud where the A/C bracket mounts. That stud is notorious for breaking off because of the vibration from the old piston style York compressor. With not much original head metal to work with after drilling out the easy-out that snapped off while trying to extract the stud, I saw a mechanic fill the hole with JB weld, drill it and tap it. It held the stud, but the JB weld came out of the hole like one big plug with the stud still threaded in it. I don't think the hole was clean or rough enough for the JB weld to get a grip on it. Had the hole been properly prepped, I bet it would've held.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:14 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Default Re: JB Weld instead of tack weld? (isosceles)

I loc-tited mine too.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:51 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: JB Weld instead of tack weld? (Greg)

Use Loc-tite....Just clean all oil and grease off first.

JB Weld will not come apart if you put it on the threads. could be bad if you ever need to take it back apart..

I have used JB for sealing a hole ( water leak ) in an aluminum intake. it worked, but you have to let it cure for at-least 24 hours....

As for the marriage... RUN!!!!!!! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To JB Weld instead of tack weld?

Quick Reply: JB Weld instead of tack weld?